3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2016 7:37 AM by Olly Bond RSS

Monarch 7 & 11.1 too old?

Gary Morris

Hi folks,

we are upgrading our v7 and v11.1 models and projects to 13.4. The project to do this going to take some time as we have a large number of v11.1 and a fair number of v7 files to upgrade. My question is if both versions are out of support how worried should I be about either version failing?

By this I mean an external change taking place i.e.a Windows patch or upgrade. I know both versions won't function beyond Win 7 but we are going to be using this version of Windows for some time to come. I am more concerned that a future Windows patch might cause an issue.

Maybe I am worrying without cause but any feedback from you good Monarch folk would be appreciated!

Cheers

Gary

• Re: Monarch 7 & 11.1 too old?
          Joe Berry

I too have v13.x and have used v10.5 for years - still do.  I have not had any issues with external change impacting the v10.5 models, not even Office version changes.  I still have customers using v10.5 models for monthly reporting.  Now that I have said that, I can say for sure that if the model is mission critical, I use the latest version.  It would seem that converting a model from one version to another should be easy, but I have not had that experience across the board.  Some are truly a slam dunk, but others cause a lot of pain.

Gary Morris

Hi Joe,

thanks for your reply, we build any new routines in v13 for sure. I was just trying to gauge opinions on continuing to use v11.

Hopefully v10.5 & v11 are still good to use for some time yet or at least until I convert all our files to v13!

Cheers

Gary

Olly Bond

Hello Gary,

To echo Joe, for most applications v10 still runs fine. The risk is low as long as you control the operating environment - so if you can keep an XP machine running as a VM, you're likely to be safe. The problem is that most corporate IT environments might not look kindly on such a solution and would prefer that the application ran on a machine with supported OS, Office, browser and anti-virus, and some might even insist on a supported application, which forces you to v12 or above, with the consequent loss of desktop automation and the conversion to the binary dmod format.

When converting models, or even when opening xmod and saving as dmod, you might hit some snags around definitions that depend on each other, such as complicated calculated fields, and compound filters, but these can usually be solved by editing and saving the object definitions in a logical enough order until Monarch understands what's going on.

Best wishes,

Olly