11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2016 6:12 AM by Olly Bond RSS

Extend Multi-Column Region beyond bottom of page?

Frank Pappalardo

Monarch Pro ver 10.5:

Is there any way to extend a Multi-Column Region beyond the bottom of the page? I have a 3-column region with start and stop boundaries at the Append template immediately above the Detail. The report does not repeat the Append data when the detail lines extend to the next page, so I lose the second and third column. I wish I could remove the "or bottom of page" option on the Stop boundary.

• Re: Extend Multi-Column Region beyond bottom of page?
          Grant Perkins

Frank,

Do you have a Page Header template defined?

I'll try to find a running 10.5 installation and a suitable looking sample report and try it out.

Grant

Frank Pappalardo

No Page Header, I have another Append Header at the top of the page. I tried changing it to a Page Header... no help.

Grant Perkins

Hi Frank,

Based on a rather simple report from the Datawatch sample set and after removing a repeating append area in order to replicate you report I can confirm that it looks like you will struggle to achieve what you need as thins stand.

However there may be other approaches to the problem that are very specific to the structure of the source report file.

For example might it be possible to derive some sort of "dummy" append template or footer template that could be used to start and stop the MCR?

You could also consider the possibility of defining a Page differently using a Template, defined as a "page header type", that overlapped the logical report pages and so redefined the points at which the MCR starts and stops. Bear in mind Monarch still has limits to how many lines can be in a "page" no matter how it is defined.

If you are able to share a version of the report privately I could take a look at it to see if any ideas suggest themselves. Would that help?

There may be other ways to "work" the MCR concept.

Beyond that you could consider manipulating the report in some way. For example to edit in the "missing" templates line on continuation pages.

That might work for a one-off report if there are not too many roll-over pages. Maybe not so good if it needs to be a repeating process.

That said I have in the past created a Monarch model that, in effect, reformatted and added/removed parts of a report that was quite complex in order to create a new output that was better suited for further Monarch analysis. I am aware of a number of people who have used such principles to evolve automate processes to satisfy quite complex tasks. Where the need exists there is always a solution of some sort no matter how hidden it may appear to be at first!

Grant

Olly Bond

Hello Frank,

You might find fiddling with the page breaks helps  - artificially setting a footer or blank line to act as a page header to trick Monarch into stopping or starting the MCR. If you can send me a redacted report I'll happily suggest a fix.

Best wishes,

Olly

Frank Pappalardo

Thanks Olly and Grant! I will send you both a sample. I've tried adding dummy templates to act as boundaries... the problem is that the MCR always extends into my "real" Append headers, rendering them useless.

Frank Pappalardo

Hi Grant -

As per my post, see attached. Thanks again for taking a look!

Frank S Pappalardofrankpappalardo@yahoo.com

From: Grant Perkins <datawatch-admin@community.datawatch.com>

To: Frank Pappalardo <frankpappalardo@yahoo.com>

Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 7:48 AM

Subject: Re:  - Extend Multi-Column Region beyond bottom of page?

#yiv6082515065 * #yiv6082515065 a #yiv6082515065 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv6082515065 #yiv6082515065 h1, #yiv6082515065 h2, #yiv6082515065 h3, #yiv6082515065 h4, #yiv6082515065 h5, #yiv6082515065 h6, #yiv6082515065 p, #yiv6082515065 hr {}#yiv6082515065 .yiv6082515065button td {}

|

Datawatch Community 

|

Extend Multi-Column Region beyond bottom of page?

reply from Grant Perkins in Datawatch Monarch - View the full discussionHi Frank, Based on a rather simple report from the Datawatch sample set and after removing a repeating append area in order to replicate you report I can confirm that it looks like you will struggle to achieve what you need as thins stand. However there may be other approaches to the problem that are very specific to the structure of the source report file. For example might it be possible to derive some sort of "dummy" append template or footer template that could be used to start and stop the MCR? You could also consider the possibility of defining a Page differently using a Template, defined as a "page header type", that overlapped the logical report pages and so redefined the points at which the MCR starts and stops. Bear in mind Monarch still has limits to how many lines can be in a "page" no matter how it is defined. If you are able to share a version of the report privately I could take a look at it to see if any ideas suggest themselves. Would that help? There may be other ways to "work" the MCR concept. Beyond that you could consider manipulating the report in some way. For example to edit in the "missing" templates line on continuation pages. That might work for a one-off report if there are not too many roll-over pages. Maybe not so good if it needs to be a repeating process. That said I have in the past created a Monarch model that, in effect, reformatted and added/removed parts of a report that was quite complex in order to create a new output that was better suited for further Monarch analysis. I am aware of a number of people who have used such principles to evolve automate processes to satisfy quite complex tasks. Where the need exists there is always a solution of some sort no matter how hidden it may appear to be at first!  Grant

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Datawatch Community

Start a new discussion in Datawatch Monarch by email or at Datawatch Community

Following Extend Multi-Column Region beyond bottom of page? in these streams: Inbox