1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 8, 2016 8:18 PM by Grant Perkins RSS

New user needing help :)

Nichole Rink

Hey Everyone,

I apologize for this question but am just finishing up the training and starting to build.  I have successfully connected to my sql server and now I need to create a report where I would need data from 2 tables.  I cannot seem to open data from more than one master table at a time.  So I found and opened 2 separate reports that including the data I need.  Now I try to join the data and I cannot seem to get the information going across the rows on the same row.  I have 3 rows from the first data file and then 2 rows way at the bottom with data from the second report I opened.  My question is, is there another way I can open data from multiple tables to just show in one report?  or do I obviously need more training in joining data?  I am doing this in DataPrep

thanks!

• Re: New user needing help :)
          Grant Perkins

Nichole,

It sounds like you need some fields that match each other and are common to both reports (or, to be more generic, data sources).

If you have those then it's a question of which join type you need to use to get the result you want. Different joins allow you achieve different results.

I'm not sure about your need to connect to 2 table extracts. In principle I think it should be possible unless there is some constraint in security policy perhaps?

You would have 2 queries available, just like 2 reports can be available, and you would join them in much the same way.

It's difficult to be more specific without seeing the problem but I appreciate that you are are probably not able to make screen copies available to help with visualizing the problem.

Grant