7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 8, 2016 6:03 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Getting data on next page

Mac Chadwick Ranier Tolentino

Hi Guys,

I'm kinda new here in using datawatch.

Please help me on getting the data on the next page (continuation data).

Example:

(this is page 1)

ID #                    1st pymt                  2nd pymt

NAME             

Status                 Misc Type               Misc Amt.  

-----------               ----------------               ---------------

0001                    2000                         2000

JN Dela Cruz

Installment          Com.Lab                    250

(page 2)

Same header

0001                    Lib.Fee                      100

How do I get the data on the second page? knowing that it will become a part of the data on the 1st page.

Thanks.

• Re: Getting data on next page
          Grant Perkins

Hi Mac,

The first question is

"Which Monarch version do you have available?"

The possible second question, subject to the answer to the first, is "How are you trapping for your detail records?"

Monarch has a facility that makes a Page Header template "invisible" to the application when it is looking for multi-line detail records.

However your sample, as presented, sort of suggests that your detail records may have a variable number of lines rather than a fixed number.

That's not a problem - it just needs to be allowed for in the extraction template.

On the other hand if your detail record is trapping based on seeing content in the ID# column as the first line of a new "variable number of lines" detail record, it may think it has a new record to deal with rather than a continuation from the previous page.

So there may be an easy answer (the age Header template) or we may need to consider something a little more involved in order to get exactly what you need.

Tell us what you can and we can take it from there.

Grant

Hi Grant,

Thanks for the reply....

For the first question, I'm using Monarch 13.

Second, I'm using Detail Template to get the records, my trapping are numbers and symbols (e.g. "2000.50" my trap is "I.II" that was base on a vertically straight line record of numbers, for capturing the one whole data, that's the only

best way I can think off to trap the data to be capture.) and append template for the data which we are talking about now that are not being capture because they are on the other page.

"On the other hand if your detail record is trapping based on seeing content in the ID# column as the first line of a new "variable number of lines" detail record, it may think it has a new record to deal with rather than a continuation from the previous page." - this is the one which is happening right now.

and whats "Extraction Template"?

I'm really sorry, I'm kinda start using monarch for about 2 weeks, that's why I'm really confused right now.

You're help is much appreciated.

Grant Perkins

Hi Mac,

Hey, I remember back when I was 2 weeks into Monarch and grappling with the basics.

It was puzzling but the reports were quite easy. Anything a little more difficult I could just ignore  ....

Then I discovered what was possible and nothing could be ignored any longer!

Since then the forums over the years have introduced many people who have been faced with some of the more challenging challenges way earlier than I was. Day one for some with almost impossible reports to deal with.

OK, from what you have written you are using the "Monarch Classic" approach rather than Data Prep I would assume?

The Extraction Template is basically your line of trap definitions plus the field map for what you want extracted. It would include appends, Page Header and footers where they exist.

So what I think you need to look for is a trap that would, somehow, not see the first continuation line on page 2 (in you example) a s a new detail record. Does you REAL first line of the detail have any character or character position that exists in it every time but does not exist in the continuation line? Bear in mind that you can specify that it MUST exist or that it MUST NOT exist.

Sometimes that best trap to use, for challenging situations, is not at all obvious at first sight.

Sometimes there is no obvious way to get around what the report designer created without looking to a 2 stage process where you undertake a first pass extraction and create an output file of some sort and then apply a second model to that output that can easily extract the information you need in the form that you require.

Would you be able to share a sample report  - perhaps from a test system if real data is a sensitive issue? I can provide an off-forum email address if necessary.

I have a feeling that this may be one of those challenges that can be best addressed by seeing a full visual image of the report (or at least a few sample pages) and experimenting with approaches that Monarch has available.

Grant

Hi Grant,

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, I was using monarch classic rather the data prep, the reason is; it's much more dynamic compare to data prep.

I'm gonna make some sample report, so that we could start checking the possible solution for my challenges.

Thanks for the man. It means a lot to me.

Grant Perkins

Hi Mac,

It is possible the details of the format of the original report will be extremely useful for your purpose. So, if recreating a report will be time consuming there are tools around that can help to anonymize an existing report file.

Alternative I can offer a off-community secure sharing area if highly restricted non-public visibility of an original report would be acceptable to your company.

A full report is always useful but as long as the problem area (records overlapping a page in this case) is always consistently handled (something that is not always true for many reports we see) just 3 or 4 pages will usually be enough to define and test solutions. Including a page 1 and its Header is usually wise.

HTH

Grant