4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2016 1:58 AM by Steve Hackling RSS

Monarch Pro v10.5 - Random 2nd row capture

Steve Hackling

Hi,

I have a report that generally consists of individual rows of data. However, throughout the report there are random second rows and I'm struggling to capture them correctly. Below are two failed attempted examples:-

Example1: If I capture the 1st row as Detail and the random 2nd row as Append the Table shows all items but the 2nd row (Signing) is out of sync and replicated until the content changes.

Example2: If I capture the 2nd row as Detail and the 1st row as Append the Table shows only those 1st rows that also have a 2nd row (Signing).

Would welcome comment.

Many thanks,

Steve.

• Re: Monarch Pro v10.5 - Random 2nd row capture
          Grant Perkins

Hi Steve,

That's an annoying way to put the Message line in. It looks like it would have been better to make it the second line ....

Do you need the message as a field?

The typical approach would be to use your first approach to the problem with the first line as the detail. The main rule here is that your choice for "detail" always has to exist as detail for the data you need to be extracted.

Define the field that covers the Cover Risk and Case Number but use the Field Advanced properties so that it captures more than one line when necessary. (End on .... if you have not found a need to use that before I would recommend experimenting with the options for 5 minutes to see what they do. It's potentially very powerful.)

Once you have the 2 lines of the field in the table you can quite easily create calculated fields to split out the Message if there is a message line and the cover risk and case number fields from whichever line they end up appearing in.

If you don't need the "Message" info and the Case Number field always starts with "S/No" there may be an alternative approach but I'll put that on the back burner for now until you have had a chance to consider the above.

HTH.

Steve Hackling
                • PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT NOTICES ABOUT EMAIL USAGE AT THE END OF THIS MESSAGE **

Hi Grant,

Many thanks for your email.

I’ve played with the Advanced Properties, as suggested, but to no avail, unfortunately.

The message info is not needed but to make matters worse the Case Number doesn’t always start with S/N!?

However, I have received another email from a colleague of yours which has resolved the problem.

Kind Regards,

Steve.

Steve Hackling

Direct Line: +44 (0) 20 7204 4968

CGNMB LLP

52 Leadenhall Street, London EC3A 2EB

Tel: +44 20 7480 7322     www.cgnmb.com

Olly Bond

Hello Steve,

This is the classic Missing Detail problem. In most recent versions, it's best solved by defining the first line as a Detail, the second line as a Footer, and setting the Footer template to be Cleared By the Detail so it doesn't affect the other rows. 10,5 is ages old - just checked, you've got Cleared By in that too.

Another approach is to define a single line template and then make the right hand field end on "none of the above" in advanced field properties. Use Textline() to get what you need that that field - details are in the Invisible Data webinar.

Best wishes,

Olly

Steve Hackling
                    • PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT NOTICES ABOUT EMAIL USAGE AT THE END OF THIS MESSAGE **

Hi Olly,

Many thanks for your email.

I have carried out your first suggestion which has solved the problem.

Kind Regards,

Steve.

Steve Hackling

Direct Line: +44 (0) 20 7204 4968

CGNMB LLP

52 Leadenhall Street, London EC3A 2EB

Tel: +44 20 7480 7322     www.cgnmb.com