5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2016 7:58 AM by Kathy Haire RSS

Help with version 10.5.00?

Kathy Haire

We have been running several .bat files calling .mod files to parse out reports in .xls  and .csv for month end processing.

Starting last month they stopped parsing - now the only results we are getting are the .csv files.

Any clue as to why it would break all of a sudden?  We no longer employee the person who set this up and it now running on a virtual server.

Any help or anyone who would be willing to help investigate would be greatly appreciated.

We have purchased the newer version of Monarch, but we heard it is not compatible.

Kathy Haire

Metal Sales Mfg.

• Re: Help with version 10.5.00?
          Grant Perkins

Hi Kathy,

For the Excel file problem (.xls) I would guess that you may have had a Microsoft Office update at some point recently. Can you confirm which version of Excel/Office you are using and whether there have been any recent changes. However that would be more a case of the revised Excel program not understanding the .xls files and what you have written suggests the files are not created.

Another option would be that the batch file is trying to send the .xls files to somewhere it cannot access to deliver them.

Is the batch file doing the distribution or is it built in to a Monarch Project that is then run by the batch file?

Did the apparent loss of the .xls output coincide with the system being moved to the virtual server?

Automation for Monarch after version 11.4 has become a separate product so you would need to assess the benefits available against the license cost. If you company runs or might benefit form running a lot of automated processes regularly it would probably be a good investment. If, in total, you run a couple of month end processes and nothing more it may not be quite so attractive.

I have no doubt some help will be available  - we just need to work out what would be the most appropriate knowledge set to engage!

Grant

Kathy Haire

Grant,

I will have to do some checking on the .xls upgrade – we have done some but it should not have affected that server.

Also, I think the path is ok because it does put the .csv files where the .xls files should go.

I am wondering about the version of the movie player –when I try to open the .mod files it opens narrow… not full view –

Could that be the issue?

I will try to copy some of the commands from the .bat file that it just stops running on.

Kathy Haire

Sr. Programmer Analyst

Metal Sales Mfg.

545 S. Third St.

Louisville KY, 40202

Phone 502-855-4356

Grant Perkins

Hi Kathy,

Your mention of Movie Player worries me. I seem to recall that the .mod file extension was introduced for some  Movie Player file some time after Monarch first used it. If you click on a .mod file and see the Movie Player launch there may be a file association issue to consider somewhere  - perhaps in the ,bat scripts? I can't be sure but it rings an alarm bell. In theory I can't see how it would have an effect on a script but I certainly cannot be sure about that.

If the Models running the .xls outputs are run using .mod files there may be something to check out there. Are the .csv outputs run from the same models? Or other ,mod files? Or .xmod files?

If you don't have anyone using a rather old version of Monarch (earlier than V8 iirc) I would suggest opening the .mad files and saving them as .xmod files.

If you are running through Monarch Projects (.xprj) files opening the project, saving the associated model as an xmod and exiting should be all you need to do on the Monarch side.

For the batch files you may need to review how they are run. If run by opening the Project that will likely be enough. If run "old style" with direct script references to files and models you may need to change the .mad references to the new .xmod references.

Obviously I am making some assumptions here but these are certainly things that should be worth checking.

Also, in standard Windows diagnosis mode, check the scripts to see if they actually specify the target folder for output or, perhaps in some cases, use an alias that might have gone missing with some sort of recent system change.

One other possibility is that for some reason there is no data output for the .xls exports which may then result in no file being created.

If you have not already done so it should be possible to quickly change the model or project or script to output to a 'local' machine and see what happens. Make a copy of the files to be certain you can easily go back to how things were!

As ever with these things there may be a number of factors in play so it's a little difficult to be explicit from a distance. I'm rather hoping that the suggestions lead you in a direction that uncovers the problem but I doubt any of them will be an immediate solution.

HTH.

Grant

Kathy Haire

.csv files were .xmod files – we are trying to reboot the old machine to see if we can run it locally – we will keep you posted.

Kathy Haire

Sr. Programmer Analyst

Metal Sales Mfg.

545 S. Third St.

Louisville KY, 40202

Phone 502-855-4356

Kathy Haire

Grant,

We started up the old machine – and it is running – now we have to figure out what changed to make it stop --- thank you for your help.. I think we will be going forward with a new version very soon.

Kathy Haire

Sr. Programmer Analyst

Metal Sales Mfg.

545 S. Third St.

Louisville KY, 40202

Phone 502-855-4356