4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2016 2:33 PM by Tracy Garon Hojka RSS

Appending Source Files in Monarch Data Prep Studio

Tracy Garon Hojka

I have a workspace where I have appended 20 separate text based (delimited) source files, attempting to create a single table of the data within all the files.  Unfortunately, one column of these files changes name each day (the column relates to the date the data pertains to and the title of the column is the date (formatted as YYYYMMDD).  So, when I change the source file in Data Prep Studio (using Edit File Path) from the original file to the new file, I receive the following error message: "The columns for the new table are different.  Click 'Yes' to load the new columns and clear load filters.  Click 'No' to cancel the load."

• If I click 'Yes' - the data is loaded, but all my column formatting is lost.  I have extensive column formatting.
      • If I click 'No' - the load is cancelled and nothing new is loaded into my table.

So now I'm wondering if there is a way to tell Data Prep Studio to read this column the same no matter what date appears?  If so, please explain how I can accomplish this.

Another note:  I saved my formatting as a "Change List" and have attempted to import that list in after I load the new files' data and it errors out because of the same column name issue and will not go any further.

Please help!

Thanks!  Tracy Garon Hojka, Whitnell & Co.

• Re: Appending Source Files in Monarch Data Prep Studio
          mperez

Hi Tracy,

Is it possible to request for a sample of your Data Source so we can try and test it?

If you can provide just 2 sample of it, it will do and a copy of your Workspace as well.

Thanks.

Migz Perez

• Re: Appending Source Files in Monarch Data Prep Studio
            Tracy Garon Hojka

I did receive a work around from tech support regarding this item.  Below is the basic steps I took to complete the process of updating my table with new source data without manual intervention of each source file (there are 20 files I would have to change manually otherwise).  I wanted to post this resolution, for anyone who comes up with a similar situation (It's always nice to find resolutions, not just issues).

Instructions:

1. Open the workspace
            2. In the Prep Data section, Edit File Location (as directed in the instructions) and chose new file
              1. Repeat the step above till all source tables have been updated
            3. Select the Appended table and select View Appended Tables icon (far-right icon) and select Edit Append
            4. Select an underlying table and match field in Columns to Append column with the proper column in the Appended Table column (as directed in the instructions)
              1. Repeat the step above till all source tables have been updated
            5. Resulting table is what I was looking for without manual intervention to the source files!

Again, Thanks Migs for all your help!  Tracy