5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2016 9:54 AM by Olly Bond RSS

Running Count

mikell _

Is there any way to create a running count in Monarch 10.5 (or any way to define and update a variable)?

• Re: Running Count
          Olly Bond

Hello Mikell,

This is covered in the invisible webinar on Invisible Data on Datawatch's website in the On Demand Webcasts section - in the Table you can use Rowno(), Recno() as well as combinations of Page(), Line() and Column() - and in Summaries you can use Cumulative totals - some examples on the archive of www.greenbar.info.

But with Monarch 10.5, the answer is usually "Yes, we can".

Best wishes,

Olly

mikell _

I haven't been able yet to find the mentioned webinar, either on the Datawatch site or on the Greenbar site. 

Olly Bond

Hello Mikell,

I know - it's disappeared a few weeks ago as it was delivered using Monarch v12 which was branded Modeler. In the interests of harmonising the branding now that Monarch is back to being called Monarch, the v12 webinars were removed. Sadly, there aren't any other webinars explaining how File(), ID(), Page(), Line(), Textline(), Column(), Recno() and Rowno() work or when you need to use them.

I think that the manager at Datawatch in charge of these forums is Theo Klemming - perhaps it would be worth reaching out to him to see if he can give you a link to the webinar?

Best wishes,

Olly

mikell _

Olly,

I have used most of the mentioned functions but would definitely like to see the webinar and will attempt to contact Theo to see if he can provide a valid link.

But, to pursue the second (bracketed) question I posed, is there any effective way to use a variable in Monarch, such as to keep a running count on some field?

Olly Bond

Hello Mikell,

Monarch can't reference one row from another in the table window - it's not Excel. But yes, you can do this sort of thing with a summary, exported with a key, and then brought back in as an external lookup.

Best wishes,

Olly