11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2016 3:22 AM by jacksonk _ RSS

Help with template please?

jacksonk _

Hi,

I have an issue with one of my templates,

I need to extend the width of column 10 (12 columns in the report). Everything I try gives me the same error message:-

Can anyone help please?

Thanks,

• Re: Help with template please?
          Marianna Romero

Hello jackson _,

It could be that increasing the width of field #10 causes it to overlap with the position of field #11. For instance if field #10 is at positions 20 to 25, and field #11 is at 30 to 35, increasing the width of field #10 to 15 would overlap with field #11. Is that the case maybe? Or perhaps you could send a screenshot of your field definitions and the steps you did?

May we also know what version of Monarch you are using?

Thanks,

Marianna

jacksonk _

Hi Marianna,

I am using an old version 9.01,

Below is a screenshot of the columns to the right, column 8 (i.e. the 3rd one from the right)

is the one that I need to extend,

Thanks

Marianna Romero

Hello,

I'm not sure if you're updating 'This Yr Budget' or 'Act/Bdgt Variance' - but try and double-check that the width of the column you are increasing will not overlap with the next one (the one at its right). Maybe try increasing the width a little at a time at first to make sure you don't hit the next column.

Hope that works.

Marianna

jacksonk _

its the "Act/Bdgt Variance" column that I need to extend by 1 digit.

It needs to include the left bracket that you may be able to see in the data.

Marianna Romero

Monarch has a Pull Left feature that will allow you to shift a field to the left. However, I did not get to use ver 9 so I am not sure how that works in your version.

Try clicking on the corresponding field for Act/Bdgt Variance in the Sample Text Box (on the field with '8,586.75') and then clicking on the Left Arrow button above the Trap Line, under the "Help" button. This should shift the field's starting position by 1 character to the left. You'll need to adjust the width by 1 character so that the rightmost value is captured too.

Marianna

jacksonk _

I tried the left pull feature to start with, I often use the left/right pull on other templates but

this one wont work.

Just noticed that even if I open "edit template" and close it without making any changes I get the same error message, so I just cancel out of that screen.

It must be as you say an overlapping column but I don't know where?

jacksonk _

This is a copy of my field list:-

Not sure if this may help?

Marianna Romero

It's quite difficult to try to replicate your issue as we no longer support version 9.

We'll get back to you on how to address this.

Thanks,

Marianna

Grant Perkins

What is Field Name "A"?

1 character but the same starting column (50, in the same template) as "Act / Bgt Variance".

I suspect that is the source of the message.

You can set the positions and field sizes you require directly in the Field List. That can often be quicker than using the GUI for updating existing templates.

Plus .... the report's maximum field widths (and positions) are per the original program specifications, are usually reflected in the position and quantity of the dashed lines that underline column titles or, in this case, the sub-total lines. And it looks like some other dashed lines for non-numeric fields.

It can often be useful to assess whether setting field sizes to match the defined dished lines might be wise. It might not be necessary on a case by case basis but would ensure that the fields defined in the template will always be big enough for any fill content that the report can deliver.

HTH.

Grant

Olly Bond

Grant - I think you've hit the nail on the head - there are two fields defined in the same place in the template at column 50.

Hello Ken,

I've got v10 through v13 here so can't replicate the steps for you in v9, but I'd try editing the field list so Act / Bgt Variance starts at 55, then you should be able to safely delete A in the template editor. For the very brave, or foolhardy, save a copy of the model and you could try editing the source XML, but there's no guarantee that will work cleanly. Do any filters, lookups, summaries, sorts, or calculated fields depend on the mysterious field A?

Just as a background question, why are your users running an application that hasn't been upgraded in eight years? Do you have a really old version of Windows and Office too, and need to stay on Monarch v9 for compatibility reasons?

Best wishes,

Olly

jacksonk _

Thanks everyone for all your help and input.

Think I have solved this issue now by using the floating field box.

This is an old project/model that has been used for years and written by a guy who left the company 3 years ago!

Not sure why we are still using ver9, it works for what we do and I guess our IT guys are not interested in updating!

Thanks again,