10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2016 12:42 PM by Gary Morris RSS

v13 batch jobs for downloading to Excel

Gary Morris

Hi folks,

I have started working with v13 testing for use within my company. We currently use v11 but also tested in v12 last year. Most of our processes involve exporting Monarch tables to Excel via a Batchjob (within Wordpad). I managed to build a batchjob in v12 which ran fine but I can't seem to achieve the same result in v13. I have assumed similar syntax logic for v13 over v12 other than the location of the version itself i.e.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Datawatch Monarch 13\DWMonarch.exe /rpt: "name of report" /mod: "name of model .dmod" /exp: "name of export Excel file"

My v13 batchjob attempt results in v13 opening in a new window but I don't want that, I want the table to be exported straight to Excel. 

My guess is that I have gone wrong somewhere with the syntax. Has anyone out there built batchjobs in v13?

I have sent a request for help to Datawatch tech support but any help from the community would be most welcome!

Cheers

Gary

• Re: v13 batch jobs for downloading to Excel
          Chris Porthouse

I believe they removed the functionality to export via DWMonarch command line.  You can still specify input and view options, but no exporting.  You should check out Datawatch Automator for batch processing.  Hope this helps.

Regards.

Olly Bond

Hello Gary,

Desktop automation was disabled in Monarch v11.5, unless you pay for a more expensive licence. There's a webinar next week on a new desktop edition of Automator - I don't have features or pricing information, I'm afraid. If you'd like a chat about Automator - which is the new name for DataPump - and how to migrate old models and batch files to the new platform, please drop me a line.

Best wishes,

Olly

Gary Morris

Hi Olly,

We paid for the licence to continue downloading/exporting. It may be the way I have put the batch job together. I have dropped Datawatch tech support a line but they haven’t really been able to assist much to be honest.

I’ll contact out account manager.

Regards

Gary

Grant Perkins

Gary,

If you are licensed to run the batch files but all you get is a file open that suggests the entire line cannot be understood  - as you suggest.

Have you considered setting up the report and models and exports as a Project and then opening the Project in the command line?

If so have you tried it and if so what happened?

The most usual anomalies with scripts tend to be almost invisible when you read the lines! An extra spec for example - or a 1 character mistype in a path that we don't see no matter how many times we check the commend line.

Unfortunately I don't currently have access to automation enabled system to check my suggestions.

Grant

Gary Morris

Hi Olly,

I’m trying to get a straight answer from Datawatch (but failing) re the cost of the licence extension. I don’t want to put you on the spot but maybe you can help me please

We paid around £16k (discounted) in 2012 for 22 v11 licenses. We paid about £16k (including maintenance) for the v12 licence extension. I was advised that we could upgrade for free to v13 so thought it worth skipping v12 altogether. It appears that each v12/v13 licence extension costs over £10k per user. This would mean that our Monarch costs would rise from about £16k to well over £200k for 20 or so users!

I have gone out to our global Datawatch account manager on this but I would welcome any comments you might have, perhaps I have misunderstood something here?

Regards

Gary