The Monarch 13.1 learning guide at http://docs.datawatch.com/on page 160 (pdf page 172) gives a good guide how how to use regular expressions (regex) with the Betty's Music Store sample report. The steps are:
- Open the report designer in Monarch Classic 13.1
- Select the line you want to trap
- Select Regular Expression Trap in the drop down at the top left of the screen
- Create the regex expression with the named capture group(s)
- Then right click on the orange field on the sample line and specify "Create a field from this capture". (If you try to just drag a field on top of the orange capture highlighting, it won't work properly)
I bought a product called regex buddy that is great at helping to create and test the regex expression (use the .NET regex flavor in this product).