5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2015 5:23 AM by hellback _ RSS

Keep Monarch Formatting when pasting

hellback _

I just upgraded to Monarch 13 from 10.5 and so far I am not impressed.

Is there a way to keep the Monarch Formatting when I copy and paste into Excel. I have a lot of reports with fields that start with 0. When I paste "0720" becomes 720, switching from Text to Numeric. In 10.5, paste kept all of the formatting from Monarch. Now I lose all of the formatting; Number, thousands, shading, font; everything is gone.

• Re: Keep Monarch Formatting when pasting
          Olly Bond

Hello hellback,

I find that the new method in v13 of right-clicking in the table and selecting export to Excel is helpful. I've not tested it for preserving formatting, but I think you can set AutoFilter this way.

Best wishes,

Olly

hellback _

The Export function does keep the formatting. However, this means I have to create a bunch of filters and summaries if I only want a small section of the data. Often I am coping information for 10-15 individual departments from a list of 100 or more. I can sort by department, then just copy and paste the lines I need. Using the Export, I will need to create a filter for each department or export the entire file to Excel; which kind of defeats the purpose of using Monarch.

Olly Bond

Hello hellback,

Since v10, maybe even v9, there's been the feature to export the table based on All Filters, or a summary split by instances of the first key value, to address exactly this issue.

For selections of 10-15 from 100 I'd suggest a lookup field as the easiest way to manage the filter expression, rather than nested .if. or .or. statements.

Hope this helps,

Olly

Ernie Joseph

Hi hellback,

I think this is because Excel automatically converts the data type from Character to General since Monarch as of the moment only have General format in Character type data. To prevent this from happening, in Excel, select the range of cell or the column where you will paste the data with leading zero then right-click then "Format Cells" then from the Category, select "Text" then click OK. You can also use the drop-down category menu in the excel home ribbon then choose Text. Note that you must change the excel format first before you paste the data from Monarch

Hope this helps If you have a different question in mind please let me know.