10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2015 12:11 PM by Jim Weeks RSS

Automator Scheduling

Jim Weeks

I'm having some difficulty with the scheduler within Automator (12.5.4.18128).  I have several processes that I had initially set (in the Advanced Tab) to retry if the process prerequisites are not met. That seemed to work well for a while but then the process started to retry if there was ANY error in the initial run, like a distribution error.  So I unchecked the box to Retry.  But now several are still running a second time even if there are no errors in the initial run.  How can I make that stop?

• Re: Automator Scheduling
          Zhanna Abidor

Jim,

Can you submit a case to Datawatch support?

How do you have the retries configured (indefinately, specific number of times.)? With what frequency it appears to be repeating adn for how many time and does it appear to be following pattern configured in the Advanced tab before you unchecked to "Retry automatically"?  Since unchecking retry condition have you saved modifications;  have you restarted Data Pump Dispatches Service host at any point ?  Have you tried to set number of retry to '0'?

If you would sumbit details of the process configuration or even export the process and send it to us along with dependencies we can look into details of the problem.

Thank you,

Zhanna

Jim Weeks

Hi, Zhanna!

1)      How do you have the retries configured (indefinitely, specific number of times.)? It was a specific number of retries.  Usually I set it to retry every 10 minutes up to 5 times.

2)      With what frequency it appears to be repeating adn for how many time and does it appear to be following pattern configured in the Advanced tab before you unchecked to "Retry automatically"?  At first, it seemed to “obey the rules”.  If the file prerequisites were not met, it would retry the specified number of times.  THEN it SEEMED to change to retry if there were any errors at all in any of the projects attached to the process. Not just missing the prerequisites. That’s when I unchecked the Retry box but it seems to continue, but only on some of the processes.  Even if there is no error in the initial run.  The retry times match what was set in the Advanced tab so I assume it’s still functioning from there despite the check box?  However it does not repeat 5 times, usually just one retry but sometimes more.

3)      Since unchecking retry condition have you saved modifications?  Yes

4)      have you restarted Data Pump Dispatches Service host at any point ?  I have rebooted the server.

5)      Have you tried to set number of retry to '0'? No, I just unchecked the retry box.  I can set them to zero and see if it happens again on Monday.

I will open a ticket with support.

Thanks!

Jim Weeks

Analyst and Client Support

CBCS

(p) 888.397.9500 Ext 3402 (c) 904.305.9490

Jim.Weeks@cbcsnational.com

www.cbcsnational.com<http://www.cbcsnational.com/>

This e-mail communication (including any attachments) contains information from CBCS or its affiliates that is confidential and privileged. The information contained herein is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient (or the agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient), you are hereby notified that any dissemination,  distribution, use, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately reply to sender, delete the message and destroy all copies of it.

Zhanna Abidor

Jim, I tried several combinations and as soon as I uncheck the Retried option and save process changes next schedule job report different type of messege when process prerequisites are not met:" Process prerequisites failed, but no retry information is available. Process will not be retried."  If you have not see something like that may be you should try to check all the jobs for that process that still appear in the job list and have a crossed circle in a Cancel list , click on Cancel , delete all old job and resave the process again. If problem is not resolve report it to support with details of your process configuration and logs from the job and DP dispatcher service host logs.

Thank you,

Zhanna

Jim Weeks

Hi, Zhanna.

As I said, I have unchecked the retry box.  But I have now gone in to set retries to “0” and the time to wait as “0”.  That seems to have helped the retries but they have not completely disappeared.  However, I still get the following:

This is the jobs report from this morning for a single process (although the process has multiple projects, it is set to “Multiple Projects per Job”).  As you can see, it fired off 4 times at 10 second intervals.  It never did run successfully until I ran it manually.

I will keep observing and let you know.

Jim Weeks

CBCS

This e-mail communication (including any attachments) contains information from CBCS or its affiliates that is confidential and privileged. The information contained herein is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient (or the agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient), you are hereby notified that any dissemination,  distribution, use, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately reply to sender, delete the message and destroy all copies of it.

Jim Weeks

Has there been any progress on Automator being able to append to Access tables?  As you recall, I recreated all of the tables in question and that allows it to work, but only on occasion and randomly. It has made several of the projects we use to be basically useless in Automator.  They will normally run manually from Monarch, but again, that makes Automator useless in those instances.

Let me know.

Thanks!

Jim Weeks

CBCS

Zhanna Abidor

Jim,

It was raised to development but unfortunately I can not report on progress on this case. The reference case # 00018304 and DWCHIS -571.  Since you have not reported new cases I understood that original problem was resolved with the workaround but if there are many similar exports that are not working we can open multiple cases and link it to existing issue to make sure that we better understand possibility of the common problem.

If you do not mind we should go back on communicating through support channel.

We also need to upgrade your system to the latest available 12.5.8.

Thank you,

Zhanna

Jim Weeks

Yes, I know we still have the upgrade to do.  Give me a time you can do that and I can be available.

The changes we made in the actual Access tables allowed us to reliably do the appends manually through Monarch.  And, to be fair, the actual table appends through Automator occasionally work.  But I have not been able to discern a pattern as of yet and I can’t trust that they are being updated reliably so I have to check them daily.

Has any other user reported trouble with these?

Thanks, Zhanna.

Jim Weeks

CBCS

Zhanna Abidor

Since we do not exactly know the pattern I would not make any conclusions on intermittent export behavior and compare to any possible accdb export issues.

May be we should start fresh with the new report of the export to accdb append records problem since originally the case contain several different issues and accdb export was resolved with table initial overwrite.

I will send you a link to download latest 32 bit 12.5.8 .

If you available tomorrow afternoon 2 pm (EST) I can assist in upgrading the system.

Regards,

Zhanna

Jim Weeks

Tomorrow at 2:00 would be great.

Jim Weeks

CBCS

Jim Weeks

Thanks, Zhanna.  I have downloaded the file and un-zipped it.  We’ll be ready to go tomorrow.

Jim Weeks

CBCS