2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2015 7:34 AM by Conor Bradley RSS

Customising Datawatch files on Different Server Environments

Conor Bradley

Hi Folks , want to start a discussion here to see if anybody else has a similar environment and maybe come across these issues. Within the company I work for we have a QA Datawatch server environment setup. I have successfully created a project and model that I am happy with.

I now want to upload the project files to our production server. It there any way that I can parameterize these files so that I can tell datawatch what production servers to point to on export etc.

(One example is in my database connection on the QA server I have setup my project to write to the QA database now I want Export the project files to upload to the Production server and will have to change the connection strings)

Is there a way in Datawatch server to build in parameters to map certain attributes that can change between environments without having to go in and manually change all settings.

I hope this makes sense,

Kind regards,

Conor.

• Re: Customising Datawatch files on Different Server Environments
          Mo Abdolrahim

Hi Conor,

Currently you cannot parameterize the Automator project file.  In Automator v12.4+ you can create a connection definition.  On the prod server create a connection definition.  Import the QA project file to the prod.  Open the project file in the project editor, and change the connection string using the connection definition option.

Regards

Mo

• Re: Customising Datawatch files on Different Server Environments
              Conor Bradley

Hi Mo thanks for the feedback much appreciated yeah I have found this out the hard way, one way I have got around this is by setting up a global script so that any projects that need to can access this. So on both servers I will have the same public class but just change the connection string. I am hoping that by implementing this way at least I will not have to go into each project file to ensure that the connection is sitting at the correct one.

Though I have heard as well though Olly that in version 13 that monarch utility may facilitate this functionality.

Kind regards,

Conor.