2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2015 7:17 AM by Nigel Richmond RSS

Issue connecting to Oracle 11g database from Monarch Personal 13

Nigel Richmond

Hello

I just downloaded Datawatch Monarch Personal 13 today. However, I am having difficulty connecting to an Oracle 11g database. The error message I receive is:

"ERROR [08001] [DATAWATCH] [ODBC Oracle Wire Protocol driver][Oracle] Connection Dead. "

I get a similar error when I try to connect directly using the Datawatch 7.1 Oracle Wire Protocol driver which gets installed with the product.

I am confident that my settings are correct as I can connect successfully with other tools (sql plus, Oracle SQL Developer).

I am wondering if Oracle 11g is not supported by this driver. The supported platforms link does not list 11g as a supported platform:

https://www.progress.com/support/evaluation/supported-configurations

Has anyone else encountered this, and if so can you suggest a workaround? Thanks !

• Re: Issue connecting to Oracle 11g database from Monarch Personal 13
          Gareth Horton

Hi Nigel,

I did find other sources that 11g is supported.

Here are some suggestions:

Try troubleshooting with the ODBC Administrator first, once the connection is working there, the settings can be added to the "Other Connection Settings" in the Monarch Personal Oracle connector.

Use an IP address instead of a host name.

The connect option "Query Timeout" sets number of seconds for the default query timeout for all statements that are created by a connection. If the error is occurring when the server takes a long time to respond to queries, this could resolve your issue.

- If set to -1, the query does not time out. The driver silently ignores the SQL_ATTR_QUERY_TIMEOUT attribute.

- If set to 0, the query does not time out, but the driver responds to the

SQL_ATTR_QUERY_TIMEOUT attribute.

- If set to x (x is the value in seconds), all queries time out after the specified number of seconds unless the application overrides this value by setting the SQL_ATTR_QUERY_TIMEOUT attribute.

The connect option "Failover Mode" may also be useful.

You will need to configure the connect option "AlternateServers" to the same connection if you are not currently using AlternateServers.

For example, let's say the Oracle listener service is configured on the host "MyServer", port "1521" and ServiceName=ORC_ABC.

The AlternateServers property can be configured as follows:

(HostName=MyServer:PortNumber=1521:ServiceName=ORC_ABC,HostName=MyServer:PortNumber=1521:ServiceName=ORC_ABC,HostName=MyServer:PortNumber=1521:Servic eName=ORC_ABC)

Then set Failover Mode to 1 or 2.

If set to 1 (Extended Connection), the driver provides failover protection for new and lost

connections, but not any work in progress.

If set to 2 (Select), the driver provides failover protection for new and lost connections. In addition,

it preserves the state of work performed by the last Select statement executed.

Let us know if any of these suggestions help.

Gareth