3 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2015 4:46 AM by Janet Grimsley RSS

Pull the first instance of a record

Janet Grimsley

How can I pull the first record from this data scenario.  It is a database file.  I don't care which one gets chosen.

DateIDFirst NameLast Name
      4/28/2014123456789JanetGrimsley
      4/28/2014123456789GrimsleyJanet
        • Re: Pull the first instance of a record
          Chris Porthouse

A couple of questions.

1. Are you looking to just ignore the row header (Date, ID, First, Last)?
          2. Do you just want one record or all the records after the row header?

The simple solution would be to define a trap looking for Ñ/ÑÑ/ÑÑÑÑ starting in the first column

Steve Caiels

Hi Janet,

Go into table design and create a filter. Go to the advanced tab and select the 'Unique Rows' and 'Duplicated Rows-one row only' checkboxes along with the fields that determine "uniqueness"  I'd assume it would be ID in your case, but if you want one ID per day rather than one ID in your entire data set, then select both the date and ID columns.

Regards,

Steve.

Janet Grimsley

Thanks for your input Chris and Steve, Chris since I wasn't trapping on a report, but utlizing a database, I did utilize the Advanced Tab in a filter scenario to get rid of the duplicates.  I had to try a few different scenarios to understand what the filter was doing, but I did get the correct combination.  Thank you both!