6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2015 12:21 PM by Robert Lyles RSS

Automated Export using .bat file

Jon Orbin

Hello all - I just started using Modeler.  My training has been minimal, and I'm trying to figure something out.

I create a report using data exported from seven different project files.  I run each project file, manually generating the export to an Access database.  I thought there must be some degree of automation that I could use, and found an answer to a question about using a .bat file to generate the exports.  I created a .bat file which will get the designated project to open, but it doesn't export the data.

here is the .bat file:

"C:\Program Files\Datawatch Desktop\Modeler\DWModeler.exe" /prj:"C:\Users\xxxxxxx\My Documents\Data Requests\7 New Reports for Anwar\19_Weekly Issued Membership Report by Employee\1 Weekly_Issued_Memb_Rpt_by_Emp_membs.dprj"/pxall

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or omitting that is preventing the export from happening.  Help?

btw - I'm using version 12.0.5.2002

Jon

• Re: Automated Export using .bat file
          Angela Nall

Not sure if this will help but here is what I'm doing:

"C:\Program Files\Datawatch\Monarch\Program\monarch.exe" /rpt:"C:\Users\reportadmin\Desktop\DDA_Trial\RPT410.txt" /prj:"C:\Users\reportadmin\Desktop\DDA_Trial\DDA Trial.xprj" /mod:"C:\Users\reportadmin\Desktop\DDA_Trial\DDA Trial.xmod"  /T  /exp:"C:\Users\reportadmin\Desktop\DDA_Trial\RPT410.xls" /expfileopt:overwrite /px:"RPT410"

Olly Bond

Hello Angela, hello Jon,

Datawatch removed support for desktop automation with Monarch v11.5. Angela, I guess you're using something older than 11.5, which is why your automation works. Jon, to get that working with v12 Modeler, you either need to buy a licence for desktop automation, or do the automation on the aptly-named server version of Monarch, "Automator",

Helpful resources might be www.********************, www.greenbar.info, www.monarchexperts,com, or the manuals and marketing material on www.datawatch.com.

Best wishes,

Olly

Robert Lyles

Olly,

Kind of sad Modeler doesn't support all of the projects I automated in batch files but, I can get it to open and load the projects. It just won't follow through with the export. Are there commands I could substitute for the "/pxall"? or do I have to get the "Automator" to perform these tasks as I did in 10.0?

"c:\program files (x86)\datawatch desktop\modeler\DWModeler.exe" /prj:"C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\_data\Projects\Daily 4520 SCI e7.dprj" /pxall

thanks!

Bob

Olly Bond

Hello Robert,

If I had a dollar for every time I got asked this... Datawatch still offer desktop-based automation of report mining, using Modeller/Monarch, but they charge a significant premium for the licence. The price is "on application", but it's about the same as the cost of Automator. So you can choose whether you want to deploy the automation on a server (with some advantages, but also the overhead of a server, and dealing with an IT department) or on the desktop.

We offer two types of advice - free, and charged for. If you'd like us to give you strategic advice about how to deploy report mining, how to integrate ETL and visualisation tools, and how to automate it, and audit it, and measure your users' skills, that's not free. For free, my advice would be to contact Datawatch's sales team - Monarch Experts are completely independent, and don't make a cent in commission.

Best wishes,

Olly

Robert Lyles

Understand, I'm familiar with Datapump that some of our people use on standard reports. Many of my projects I use .bat files to update and automatically distrbute to various locations in our network.

Modeler still performs all of the functions, it just won't export automatically. I can add that step manually and continue to run some of the complex files with Monarch using the command line codes.

thank you!

Jon Orbin

Olly -

Thanks for your assistance!  Although it's not the answer I wanted to hear, it's the answer that allows me to stop wasting time. 

Jon