6 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2015 9:09 AM by tcrapo RSS

Model Template doesn't work on first 4 pages.  But after that is fine.

tcrapo

I'm using Monarch Pro V. 11.2.7.0 on Windows 7 Pro

I have a Model that I've been using for a while now and today when I tried to open a text file the "Append 1" template trap wouldn't work on the first 5 pages, but is fine for the rest of the text file. Also, the Page Header, Detail and Group Footer templates work fine throughout the entire report. It's only the Append 1 template that's acting weird. This hasn't happened before so I'm wondering if anyone can offer some advice or suggestions as to what could do to remedy this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Tony

• Re: Model Template doesn't work on first 4 pages.  But after that is fine.
          Grant Perkins

Hi Tony,

Do you get detail data from the first 5 pages?

If you look at the Report WIndow to the Append fields appear to be picked up correctly according to the highlighted areas?

Is there any chance that the report format is slightly different this time (or something like that?)

Is the report a text file or a PDF (or something else.)

Have you used 11.2.7.0 with this report before?

More questions than answers at the moment but let's see where they take us.

Grant

tcrapo

Hi Grant,

Yes

If you look at the Report WIndow to the Append fields appear to be picked up correctly according to the highlighted areas?

No, that data isn't highlighted on the first 5 pages.

Is there any chance that the report format is slightly different this time (or something like that?)

That's what I was thinking, but I can't see any differences. And if there were differences, I'm not sure why they would be in the first 5 pages. I don't think it's sorted in a way that would cause any differences.

Text File.

Yes, it's the only version I've ever had.

Thanks,

-Tony

>>> Grant Perkins <datawatch-admin@community.datawatch.com> 3/9/2015 3:30 PM >>>

Datawatch Community  ( https://community.datawatch.com/?et=watches.email.thread )

reply from Grant Perkins ( https://community.datawatch.com/people/grantperkins?et=watches.email.thread ) in Datawatch Desktop Modeler - View the full discussion ( https://community.datawatch.com/message/20831?et=watches.email.thread#20831 )

Hi Tony,

More questions than answers at the moment but let's see where they take us.

Grant

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Datawatch Community ( https://community.datawatch.com/message/20831?et=watches.email.thread#20831 )

Start a new discussion in Datawatch Desktop Modeler by email ( mailto:discussions-community-datawatch--modeler@datawatch.hosted.jivesoftware.com ) or at Datawatch Community ( https://community.datawatch.com/choose-container.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2003&et=watches.email.thread )

Following Model Template doesn't work on first 4 pages.  But after that is fine. ( https://community.datawatch.com/message/20831?et=watches.email.thread#20831 ) in these streams: Inbox

Grant Perkins

Hi Tony,

That does sound strange.

You will probably appreciate that without sight of the report and model I'm working on speculative guesswork but let's throw iin a few ideas and see if anything lights up for you.

If you open the report with the model applied you should see the fields Modeler believes it is trapping in coloured highlights. And of course the fields should be sitting nicely over your append data.

If they are not over the data that is the source of your problem BUT if that only happens on the first five pages it seems a bit odd, having worked before and might also be quite tricky to fix if there has been a change in the way the report presents.

A basic check - the Append is defined to trap its position before the detail trap I assume? If not I would not expect to see any append fields, empty or filled, above the first detail line o the report.

Also, do you have a page header template? If so how is its relationship with the Append Template for the first 5 pages? (Would you expect to get more than one append template or more than one value for a single append template definition in those five pages?

Are you sure that nothing has changed in the model recently? (Accidentally  maybe? Perhaps just check the model audit to be sure.) Could you also re-run for the last successfully extracted report to make sure that still gives the results expected?

If none of those ideas point to anything useful I think I would need to have a look at the report and model to make any rapid progress. Is the report  shareable or is it confidential?

If it is confidential and the trapping is not based on specific data appearing in the report  we can help you anonymize it in a way that makes the information secure but leaves the report usable (usually) for testing and analysis purposes.

See what you come up with.

Regards,

Grant

tcrapo

Hi Grant,

I don't mind sharing the data and model.

What files extension am I looking for to share the model?

Thanks,

-Tony

>>> Grant Perkins <datawatch-admin@community.datawatch.com> 3/9/2015 6:20 PM >>>

Datawatch Community  ( https://community.datawatch.com/?et=watches.email.thread )

reply from Grant Perkins ( https://community.datawatch.com/people/grantperkins?et=watches.email.thread ) in Datawatch Desktop Modeler - View the full discussion ( https://community.datawatch.com/message/20832?et=watches.email.thread#20832 )

Hi Tony,

That does sound strange.

You will probably appreciate that without sight of the report and model I'm working on speculative guesswork but let's throw iin a few ideas and see if anything lights up for you.

If you open the report with the model applied you should see the fields Modeler believes it is trapping in coloured highlights. And of course the fields should be sitting nicely over your append data.

If they are not over the data that is the source of your problem BUT if that only happens on the first five pages it seems a bit odd, having worked before and might also be quite tricky to fix if there has been a change in the way the report presents.

A basic check - the Append is defined to trap its position before the detail trap I assume? If not I would not expect to see any append fields, empty or filled, above the first detail line o the report.

Also, do you have a page header template? If so how is its relationship with the Append Template for the first 5 pages? (Would you expect to get more than one append template or more than one value for a single append template definition in those five pages?

Are you sure that nothing has changed in the model recently? (Accidentally  aybe? Perhaps just check the model audit to be sure.) Could you also re-run for the last successfully extracted report to make sure that still gives the results expected?

If none of those ideas point to anything useful I think I would need to have a look at the report and model to make any rapid progress. Is the report  shareable or is it confidential?

If it is confidential and the trapping is not based on specific data appearing in the report  we can help you anonymize it in a way that makes the information secure but leaves the report usable (usually) for testing and analysis purposes.

See what you come up with.

Regards,

Grant

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Datawatch Community ( https://community.datawatch.com/message/20832?et=watches.email.thread#20832 )

Start a new discussion in Datawatch Desktop Modeler by email ( mailto:discussions-community-datawatch--modeler@datawatch.hosted.jivesoftware.com ) or at Datawatch Community ( https://community.datawatch.com/choose-container.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2003&et=watches.email.thread )

Following Model Template doesn't work on first 4 pages.  But after that is fine. ( https://community.datawatch.com/message/20832?et=watches.email.thread#20832 ) in these streams: Inbox

Grant Perkins

Hi Tony,

Most likely a .xmod file I would think.

If you open the model go to the HOME Tab menu then select "Document Explorer" you should see a short list on the left side window showing something like

Reports

Tables

Summaries

Info

Select Info  then Model.

You are now looking for the Properties tab. It may be over on the Right Hand side of the screen.

Open the Properties and in the General section you should see the Name (of the model) complete with the full path identifying where it is in the system.

Hopefully that will make it easy to locate.

You have not mentioned a Project file so I have assumed it's just the report text file and the model involved. Are there any look-ups? I'm hoping not  - such things would most likely just make things a bit more complicated to set up without adding anything to the analysis.

If you pit the files in into a zip file and send them to me at

grant @ monarchexperts . com

(without the spaces) I'll take a look as soon as I can.

As background, what is the source of the text file? Is it a standard system report, or perhaps from a report writer? Or perhaps an extraction from a pdf or xps document?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Grant