7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2015 10:21 AM by Olly Bond RSS

Pass the name of the active filter to a calulated field

reeves

Hi there,

Is it possible in Monarch or Modeler to pass the name of the active filter used to a calculated field?

E.g. I've 12 filters named Jan-15, Feb-15, etc. And in case the filter "Feb-15" is selected, I want to change the output of my calculated field to {01/03/2015}.

Thanks,

Koen

• Re: Pass the name of the active filter to a calulated field
          Kait Riel

Hi,

If you may, please send your inquiry to support@datawatch.com and the Datawatch Global Support Team can open a ticket for you. We will provide possible solutions to your concern.

Thanks,

Kait Riel

Technical Support Supervisor

Datawatch Corporation

Olly Bond

Hi Koen,

With your DataPump, you can use &&filter&& as a wildcard in export names for tables and files. But also, there are useful calculated field functions that will let you get the first day of the next month easily - regardless of the filter value, perhaps using a runtime parameter or just based on Today().

Best wishes,

Olly

Joe Berry

I use v10.5 and v12.4 and do my monthly filters dynamically or using run time parameters.   I've used calculated fields to determine the previous period(s) for a long time both in Monarch and in other languages.  It works well as do run time parameters.

reeves

Hi Olly and Joe,

Thanks for your suggestions. Apparently my issue is not clear enough. I don't want to dynamically filter on the time period. What I need is to run a project 12 times, each time changing the month.

Basically I've a full year budget figure for several measures for each division / segment / customer and I want to apply a phasing to this, in order to get the monthly figures. Rather than creating 12 columns for each measure (e.g. volume, sales, margin, and so on) and 12 summaries (one for each month), I wanted to make records which I need anyway in order to use them in pivot tables. Therefore I opened my full year (FY) budget file and linked it to a phasing table on multiple fields of which one is period. So in case the period field changes to another month, it will calculate the records for that month. If I would then run 1 summary 12 times with 12 different filters (changing the period) adding the records to one file, it would save me the work of having so many columns and different summaries.

The thing gets more complex as I need to split the budget for different managers (either by region or by segment).

I know it can be done in other ways, but none without having a lot of columns or having to run several processes one after the other. Or changing the period field 12 times manually.

ollyinmunich: the &&filter&& option in Automator / Datapump only works for tables and files, not for fields (?). I really need it as a field in the data for the pivot table.

Open for more suggestions

Regards,

Koen