18 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2016 5:32 AM by Olly Bond RSS

Splitting PDF into Multiple PDFs

Michael Vasas

Hi All,

I have been tasked with splitting out each page of a PDF file and creating new PDFs with each of those pages.  A part of the criteria is to rename each PDF according to a unique Store Number located on each page.  At the moment, I can trap each page and all of its content successfully and I can trap each Store number using the Floating Trap.  However, I am at a loss of know-how when trying to export each page in the one PDF to multiple PDFs with the store number as its name.  Can this even be done with Monarch or should I attempt this with different software (like Excel).

I am using Monarch Pro. Version 10.00.

Any and/or all help is truly appreciated!

-Michael

• Re: Splitting PDF into Multiple PDFs
          Olly Bond

Hello Michael,

I remember a large car rental company that used to run greenbar reports overnight to their European offices, and people were paid a salary to come to work each day and to cut up paper with scissors to send the relevant reports to each branch... 

It sounds to me that you've cracked the Report window work, got the data into the Table window. From here, you can export the data, with a filter for each Store, on an export breaking the data on All Filters. Problem is, that will give you what looks like an Excel spreadsheet for each store.

If you want something laid out for a human to read, you'll need to use the Summary window. Here's you can define Store as the first key, and split the export to PDF based on the key value. You also have a load of design options with headers and footers.

If you use Datawatch Server, you could, I think, chop the source PDF based on the Store value change, or recreate the layout using XSLT. But on the desktop, the Summary route would be the easiest.

Best wishes,

Olly

Michael Vasas

Hi Olly,

Thanks for your quick response, I really appreciate it.  As it stands right now, you have gotten me close to my colleague's desired result.  I have been able to create a summary report with the store number as key and Monarch splits all the pages out into their own pdfs.  The only issue I am having, and will figure out, is the new PDFs only contain the store numbers in them and not all the other data on each page.  I'm going to keep at it though until something right happens.  Again, thanks for the kick in the right direction.

Regards:

Michael

Scott Eshleman

Hello Michael,

If I'm understanding your post correctly, your intent is to split a large PDF into smaller PDFs

based upon a StoreID while still retaining the orginal PDF formatting.

While I'm not saying that Monarch can't output a reasonable facsimile of the original

or that Monarch couldn't produce sorted, filtered or more concise data output that could be fed to report writing software,

you may be better served by software designed for your task.

Please note:  I have no personal experience with the following software. 

I am not endorsing them and make no claims or warranties for their use.

Nor do I receive compensation of any type for bringing them to your attention.

That said, check out:

http://www.a-pdf.com/content-splitter/

http://www.evermap.com/autosplit.asp  this appears to require Adobe Acrobat (not Reader) and is installed as an add-in.

Please let us know how you make out.

Good luck,

Scott

Michael Vasas

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your suggestions and while I am not opposed to trying new software, my colleague that has asked me to do this said it needs to be done in Monarch.  He wants me to build the project and templates required so that he can just go in and do it with a couple of clicks.

Regards:

Michael

Michael Vasas

Interestingly enough, I cannot seem to be able to extract one page's worth of data.  Instead, I get multiple rows from a page but the output isn't readable like the original.  I've been changing my templates to no avail.  I can create multiple PDFs that are named based on the store number that is trapped but that's it, the contents of each PDF is the store number and nothing else.  I'm going to keep plugging away at it but I thought I would give a progress (or lack there of) report.

Olly Bond

Hi Michael,

If you define a calculated field based on Page(), then use this as a hidden first key of your summary, you'll get the breaks you need.

Michael Vasas

Hi Olly,

This is just an update letting you know that I am still trying to implement your suggestion,.

Olly Bond

Hi Michael, I'm traveling, but will have some time late Wednesday and Thursday to build you a model if you need. Monarch Experts offer a next working day model building service - sadly it's not free, nor, alas, is it included in the support that (I hope) you pay to Datawatch for technical issues and upgrades. Best wishes, Olly

Michael Vasas

Hi Olly, as far as I know, our corporation does pay for technical support.  However, I am not sure if my department manager will approve in her budget the modelling service.  I have sent a request though so I'll let you know.  Until then, I am going to keep plugging away at this, when I can.  My department manager hopes that I will be "that guy" with Monarch and I'm doing not too bad but when new requirements pop up there is a learning curve for me.  I truly appreciate the online support you all give though.

-Michael

Mo Abdolrahim

Hi Michael,

A few years ago I worked on a proof of concept to extract PDF pages from a large PDF document.  The requirement was to look for the account number on top of the page, and extract pages into a separate PDF document until a new account number is found.

I used Monarch to create a model and used Data Pump v10.5 to automate page extractions.  There were some coding involved too.

We don't need to use the Data Pump (or Automator) to automate page extraction, unless you want to automate the entire process.  A program can be written to use Monarch output and extract PDF pages by store number.  Of course there is fee involve.  Let me know if you are interested.

Regards

Mo

RalphB _

Michael,

Have you tried filtering by store number where you only see the data for that store?

Then it is possible to build a script to export out each store in its own PDF and name it with that store number.

Ralph

Ankur Shukla

I would like to suggest you to use a free PDF split and merge program by using which you can simply split a large PDF file into parts as well as merge two or more small PDF files into a single PDF file. The related information is written here: http://www.systotech.com/pdf-split-and-merge.aspx

Olly Bond

Hello Michael,

This is straightforward in Datawatch ES. On desktop Monarch, you might need to create a summary layout to replicate the original report layout, but can also be done.

Best wishes,

Olly