3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2015 12:38 AM by Gary Morris RSS

Upgrading from Monarch V11 to V12

Gary Morris

Hi,

my company currently uses Monarch Pro V11.1. We may upgrade to V12 at some point in the future especially as V11 stops being supported in the summer. Can anyone please advise what we can expect to see in V12 that would be different to V11? For example V11 uses .xmod files, would this file type be the same in V12?

Cheers

Gary

• Re: Upgrading from Monarch V11 to V12
          Olly Bond

Hello Gary,

You can download the free trial of v12 to test it - it can read xmod and xprj files, but saves only to dmod and dprj formats. The interface is better, it supports redaction, it's more powerful (more fields, more lookups, more columns for MCR) and supports more formats (new Excel, more PDF varieties). There's still no Utility to manage collections of models, but this should be out soon. If you depend on desktop automation then you might want to get in touch - this is disabled in the standard v12 licence, in fact since 11.5 it's been turned off - and you have to either buy a special licence or automate on a server.

Best wishes,

Olly

Gary Morris

Hi Olly,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. I am not familiar with “dmod” and “dprj”. We are currently converting from .mod and .prj to .xmod and .xprj formats in our batch files to facilitate exporting to Excel. Would our batch jobs need rewriting to reflect the format change or would V12 still recognise .xmod and .xprj in the script of each batch job?

We were aware of the special license and one of my colleagues got in touch with Matthew Hart yesterday, to discuss further.

Best Regards

Gary

Gary Morris

Hi Olly,

I found a V12.4 learning guide on the Datawatch website quoting

“Note that in the current version of Modeler, model files are saved using the .dmod extension. Modeler can read model files saved in previous versions of Modeler (formerly Monarch) using the .xmod extension but it cannot save changes to this file type.”

I guess that this means we can continue using .xmod and .xprj in our batch jobs but if a change needs to be made to an existing model/project then we have to convert to .dmod/.dprj. One thing we found with migrating from V9 to V11 was that we had to rebuild any project files. Hopefully that won’t be the case if we need to convert from .xprj to .dprj (we don’t have a huge amount of project files).

Regards

Gary