9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2015 1:26 PM by Olly Bond RSS

Converting .mod to .xmod

Tom Leusner

We utilize Datawatch Modeler, is there any way to convert old Monarch template models (.mod files) to .xmod files?  I understand there was a Monarch utility that could convert for the newer versions of Monarch, but is there any utility/process for the Modeler application?

• Re: Converting .mod to .xmod
          MelaSarenas _

Hi Tom,

Yes Monarch has a utility that converts .mod files to .xmod files that Datawatch Modeler can open and use.  Please contact Datawatch Support via email support@datawatch.com.  They will work with you in converting those models.

Regards,

Mela

Daniel Reese

I need this also.  Surely you have a utility to convert!

MelaSarenas _

Hi Daniel,

Yes we do and the utility comes with Monarch 11.  What version do you have?

Regards,

Mela

mikell _

But what about converting version 12 dmod models to xmod models. We would like to use the v12 modeler but our c# extraction app uses the 10.5 engine and the task of rewriting the c# extraction app is not currently allotted for.

Olly Bond

Hello Mikell,

I've not heard of any rumour that any eventual Utility will support converting dmod down to xmod - the ol Utility didn't convert xmod down to mod, for example. My guess is that Datawatch would suggest you replace your C# extraction application with either Datawatch Automator, or the automatable version of Modeler. Do you have access to the source of the extraction app? Would you like us to quote for rewriting it for you?

Best wishes,

Olly

mikell _

Olly,

I did examine the v12 modeler and, based on my cursory viewing of its functions, tend to doubt a format change was anything more than an upgrade forcing revenue generator. I also tend to doubt our management will view the expense of the reprogramming necessity required to upgrade to v12 in a positive light. However, I will pass your reply to the involved decision makers.

Olly Bond

Hi Mikell,

I think that's a fair assessment - but it's it's also fair of Datawatch to have made the change. There are plenty of customers - I'm sure you're not among them - who used one copy of v6 or v8 and some scripts or an app to give themselves unlimited report mining capability for a few hundred bucks. After 2008, many stopped even paying maintenance as v10 was so good. It's only now that Windows and Excel compatibility issues are affecting everyone that users are starting to look at upgrading.

The format change to dmod is relatively minor compared to the removal of desktop automation since 11.5. In my view, this wasn't handled too well - it was announced silently in the EULA of a point upgrade. But I can see Datawatch's point of view - if a customer has benefitted enormously from Monarch, but paid peanuts for it for years, they should at least start a dialog with Datawatch to find a sensible way forward.

Technically, dmod's load a lot faster than large xmods - that's a fairly weak justification for the change, that impacts only a handful of users who build sloppy models. Releasing v12 without a Utility - that's just shoddy, and I hope that Datawatch read this and let us all know when we can expect to see this released. I know of one customer who's just wasted three days hunting down shared drive references in the black hole that is the Digital Object Repository in Automator - software should be made to save people's time and money, not waste it.

Best wishes,

Olly