6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2014 12:58 PM by Ben Heineck RSS

VB.net automation

mhumphri _

I have been automating Monarch versions (5-9) through visual basic and vb.net for many years.. I have recently upgraded to Datawatch Modeler.  Can I automate the Modeler (v12.0) functions through vb.net just as I did before?  Do I need to buy a special datawatch product to do this?  Where is the documentation for doing this ?

• Re: VB.net automation
          Olly Bond

Hello Mike,

No, you can't automate Modeler as is. But yes, Datawatch do offer a version of Modeler supporting desktop automation. The old automation commands and methods should work fine. If you need a copy of the Programmers' Guide (not updated since v8) let me know.

I can't tell you how much the version of Modeler that supports automation costs, but I think it's about the same as Automator, which is the server product (used to be called DataPump).

Best wishes,

Olly

mhumphri _

Thank you Olly.. Currently my Version 9.1 Monarch will not export to Access 2010/Excel 2010 but I can automate with vb.  Is there a patch that can be downloaded for version 9.1 that will allow me to export to .accb or .xlsx files or do I have to get the modeler that supports automation?

Olly Bond

Hi Mike,

No, there's no patch. If you'd had maintenance you could have upgraded to v10 which supported that Access / Excel format. Without maintenance, your organisation has saved about $1500 per seat over the eight years since v9 appeared, but now you're likely to be faced with a five figure bill - per seat, for the Modeler that supports automation - or once for the Server with Automator. You might find second hand v10 licences on eBay.

Best wishes,

Olly

PS Monarch Experts do offer a consulting service to help you define a reporting strategy. And we're totally independent of Datawatch.

mhumphri _

Geez Olly.. I don't really understand the Datawatch product lineup.

What is the automator product and how does it differ from the server product.. I appreciate your help with this. 

Olly Bond

Hi Mike,

Monarch Experts can help - our US Expert, Scott, is right now in Bermuda with Datawatch at their Champions Summit, so he's got an in depth view of the road map for all the products. We've got a structured questionnaire we use to help prepare briefings - but it's not a free service. (I can give you free advice, but it's likely to be wrong, if we don't spend a couple of days with you to really understand the challenges you're facing.) Yes, it's an investment, but a few thousand invested in helping you make the right decision might save you ten-fold compared to making the wrong decision for your reporting platforms.

Best wishes,

Olly

Ben Heineck

FYI: Datawatch no longer offers a variation of their newest version 12 software open to COM automation. Automation works on my version 11, but as soon as I also installed version 12 it locked out automation. The reason for this is due to an apparent abuse of that ability where some users would have a single Monarch license and use automation to run everything through that single license for many users. The automation ability is actually still there, but disabled. If you are a current maintenanced user, you may be able to work with them to get it for a "bridge" or limited use. For example my company is jumping from version 11 to 12 with Server. Server will be able to handle a lot of what automation used to do for me, but I can't lose current efficiencies while I get up to speed setting up and using the server application.