5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2014 12:01 PM by Olly Bond RSS

New to Monarch, how to question

Angelo Abruzzese

Hi folks,

I am brand new to using Monarch for report / data extraction, if I have a report that has several templates and I have a trap line that gives some

specific characters and so on, how do I specify to not include a line instead of including it?

example:

I have a report heading line :

REPORT NO.        MYREPORT-                                                

and a Detail line:

13     5541  ABC.  COMPANY                   2        39       28032       1   50       13637       22    0     19  100       0    0

What is happening is that I want to exclude the REPORT NO. line and include the ABC. COMPANY line in the current trap line

I have it set to NOT ,  and that would exclude the detail line as well as the header, how would I tell Monarch to exclude the line

where it says REPORT NO,  or any other way that I am not familiar with just yet.

• Re: New to Monarch, how to question
          Olly Bond

Hello Angelo,

I might be easier to email me a screenshot (olly@monarchexperts.com) as the text above has wrapped a little bit. You might be able to solve this with a multi-line sample, trapping on REPORT NO but selecting only data from line 2 or line 3. But that depends on the layout of your report.

Best wishes,

Olly

Angelo Abruzzese

Hi Olly,

Thanks for checking in, actually I found a way around it but the thing I was really interested in was knowing if there is a way to say exclude this line if this condition and not include.

I am creating | delimited export files that are used for SQL Bulk Insert command afterwards and having that line with the . in the 16th position was causing other detail lines to be excluded. I was able to modify my trap line enough to create an exclusive set of records to be extracted so it is fine but for future use though...

Thanks

Angelo

Olly Bond

Hello Angelo,

Glad you found a workaround. You can exclude lines using literal traps, wildcard traps, or NOT traps.

If you ever get a report that doesn't behave, please do drop me a line...

All the best,

Olly

Angelo Abruzzese

Hi Olly

Here is a basic example export from the project  ( I am using modified data and structure just to illustrate)

|||||||||| REPORT NO.  MYREPORTNAME-|||||||||||||1|27|41290|1|100|41290|94|0|27|100|2|0|3|7|12400|||||
                      MYREPORTEXTRACT|2014-07-20|07/13/2014 - 07/19/2014|2148|Mybranch/XX|437|CUSTOMER NAME|443|something||

Now the issue I had is that the Report had a header section with

REPORT NO. MYREPORTNAME-

and detail lines where the    My CUSTOMER NAME field had a . in the name just happened to fall at the same place where the period was in REPORT NO.

So say my customer name is   ABC. INC. one of those . falls at character 16 where I have set a trap to say NOT .  and that excludes the Header line and the Detail line, which is not what I wanted to do.  I found a way to add additional tests in the trap line so I could work around it but I found it to be a little less than an exact science so to speak.

Thanks

Angelo