3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2014 10:57 AM by Michael Cirillo RSS

401, unauthorized error

Hi,

I am using DataWatch desginer to connect to our OData server and REST interface. I am using basic authencation in both REST and OData interface to authenticate the client. When I am trying to connect to OData server and REST inteface through DataWatch, I am getting error "401, unauthorized" even i am passing the correct userId and password.

Can you please let me know, the authentication mechanism supported by DataWatch?

Regards,

Ankit Jain

• Re: 401, unauthorized error
          Michael Cirillo

Ankit,

Please review the following

2.9           HTTP 401 type error message (Unauthorized) when logging in

If you access the server by a fully qualified domain name (FQDN), such as for example http://dashboard.contoso.com/panopticonex/, and get a 401 error message when submitting a valid username and password, it is an indication that you may have a problem caused by a security feature of Microsoft Internet Information Server called Loopback Check.

The problem occurs as follows:

When logging in to Datawatch Visualization Server, the user is authenticated by the IIS for access to the ASPX- pages of the Datawatch Server web application. The protected ASPX-pages in turn pass on authentication credentials to the Datawatch Server web service - but fail due to the Loopback Check of the MS IIS.

This problem can occur when the following criteria are met. It may also apply in other situations.

 You access the server by a FQDN, surfing either locally from the server itself, or from a different machine on the internal network, or from an external IP-address

 You are running the desktop operating system MS Windows XP SP2 or later, or the server operating system MS Windows Server 2003 SP1 or later

 You are running Microsoft Internet Information Server (MS IIS) 5.1 or later

 The error message is any 401-type of message, either 401.1 or 401.2 substatus code. Potentially, other sub status codes could also occur.

 You can successfully reach Protected.aspx when accessing the server by local machine name or internal IP-number.

The following test page of Datawatch Server can help you investigate this matter:

http://SUB.DOMAIN.TOP/panopticonex/test/AuthenticationTest.aspx

Where you replace SUB.DOMAIN.TOP with your own domain information.

For information on how to remediate this problem, please consult the following Microsoft Knowledgebase article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896861

As of December 2011, Microsoft recommends this solution:

 Set the DisableStrictNameChecking registry entry to 1. For more information on how to do this, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

 281308 – Connecting to SMB share on a Windows 2000-based computer or a Windows Server 2003- based computer may not work with an alias name

 Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

 In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following registry key:

 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\MSV1_0

 Right-click MSV1_0, point to New, and then click Multi-String Value.

 Type BackConnectionHostNames, and then press ENTER.

 Right-click BackConnectionHostNames, and then click Modify.

 In the Value data box, type the host name or the host names for the sites that are on the local computer, and then click OK.Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the IISAdmin service.

Regards,

Mike

• Re: 401, unauthorized error

Hi Mike,

We’re not using any of the Microsoft technologies for your server and

datastore deployment. Our data storage service runs on a linux box with

tomcat server hosting the application built on java.

Hence none of the criteria your mentioned for this error fits in our case.

· You access the server by a FQDN, surfing either locally from the server

itself, or from a different machine on the internal network, or from an

external IP-address.

We’re accessing the machine using an internal IP.

· You are running the desktop operating system MS Windows XP SP2 or later,

or the server operating system MS Windows Server 2003 SP1 or later

We’re using Windows 8 for the deployment of Datchwatch Desktop Designer.

· You are running Microsoft Internet Information Server (MS IIS) 5.1 or

later

We’ve deployed the data store service on Tomcat and is built on java based

technologies.

· The error message is any 401-type of message, either 401.1 or 401.2

substatus code. Potentially, other sub status codes could also occur.

I encountered just 401

· You can successfully reach Protected.aspx when accessing the server by

local machine name or internal IP-number.

Here is the URL to my REST service:

http://172.26.32.32:8090/vajra-services/oData

Let me know how can we resolve the issue.

Regards,

Ankit Jain

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Michael Cirillo <