I'm not sure that using v10.5 on the desktop with v12 Automator on the server is going to be trouble-free.
Do you have a desktop v11.8 anywhere? Now that 12.0.2 has just been released it's worth downloading that - it can co-exist with 10.5 on the same machine as long as your are careful about the bitness of Office - and converting the project to a dprj.
There's no reason why opening an HTML file as a text input shouldn't work, nor why a project export of the report as a fixed width text file shouldn't be fine.
Thanks, Olly - I appreciate the response.
We are on 10.5 in both the Modeler/Automator camps - we haven't upgraded yet due to incompatibility with our archive solution (Nautilus) - but we are working on it!
Strange thing with the HTM process -
I created one Export to Table, since the Report option was grayed out.
I went in and added a second Export and this time the Report Option was NOT grayed out, so I exported once as a table with no filters, which was kinda funky. My second export, as a report, was exactly what I wanted. I wonder if I can delete the first one, now?
What I am running up against is the issue with the time involved - it takes literally HOURS to save changes to the project because it has to work with the HTM file - I have NEVER had this issue with TXT reports. Crazy. I get the "not responding" message, but if I wait long enough (go to a long meeting and follow it with lunch, for example) the system does finally digest the changes requested.
So testing any little change takes forever and a day, so to speak.
Thanks again for your response - if I have any lightning bolts of inspiration I will let you know.
If you're editing an xprj project in Monarch Pro 10.5, on the desktop, then there should be no danger in deleting the first export.
To get faster handling, it might be worth running a very small query against the source system, to get a report covering a very short data set, then saving that as an HTML file locally on your PC. You could then use this whenever you want to edit the model, and just correct the paths later in Utility.
Are you using the feature in Monarch to parse the HTML into TR and TD tags? (I can't say I've ever had much success with this method, and prefer to print the HTML page to text or better to XPS/PDF to something that makes more sense to to model...)
Hi Olly -
I have not parsed my file into TR and TD tags, but I have had a bit of a breakthrough on this process...here is my "Duh!" moment for the day (hopefully there is only one!) - the reason that the Report option is grayed out is apparently because you need to have a report selected - if you utilize a wildcard in the input location in MDP, the application cannot "see" the report, and thus grays out that option. Another fun noticing - the project loads very quickly if I have a wildcard in the input location for the HTM file, because it cannot load a report in the background, while I am trying to update a simple email address or the like.
So perhaps the grayed out option I experienced at the outset wasn't because I was in Monarch rather than MDP, it was because of the report access piece. I have added a wildcard to the input to allow faster access, and I deleted the first Export job. The issue seems to be that while the wildcard permits faster access, it also prohibits the setting up an Export as a Report. Interesting!
Bottom line - I have a job that takes HTM import and exports a TXT report. Yay!
Thanks for your support, Olly.