1 Reply Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:16 AM by Olly Bond RSS

Prompt for filename to select input file and create export/output file names from

sonntagc _

I have a model that needs to open a report by name, such as "myreport" from a specific directory.  the model will create a set of detail data extracted from the report (i.e."detail").  it will also create 2 different summary reports (i.e."summ_01" and "summ_02").

the model should then export all 3 tables of data.  the output filenames would be MYREPORT_DETAIL, MYREPORT_SUMM_01, and MYREPORT_SUMM_02.

i would like the model to prompt for the base report name once, say when the model first opens, then automatically create the data in the 3 tables, and then export the tables with the filename embedded as the output filename prefix.

can this be done with modeler?

any suggestions/guidance in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

THX

• Prompt for filename to select input file and create export/output file names from
          Olly Bond

Hello sonntagc, and welcome,

The quick answer is "not quite". The naming of the export file in desktop Modeler has to be fixed - e.g. "detail.xls". You can't dynamically change it to "my report.xls", unless you use DataPump/Automator.

For the rest, you can quickly prove the concept yourself by building a project using the Classic.prn sample file and Lesson11.xmod, define a couple of exports and then save the project.

Then re-open the project, File/Open/Report, select the report you want to use instead, e.g. ClassFeb.prn, and run the exports. Again, this will take a few clicks on the desktop, I'm afraid.

Best wishes,

Olly