5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:16 AM by Alca _ RSS

    ODBC in Monarch v11.6 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Alca _

      Hi

       

      My company is in the process of migrating from Monarch (and Datapump) v's 8 over to V11.6..Datapump is going to a server from a standalone desktop.

       

      I have a process built in the older versions which uses ODBC to connect to an oracle database (a datawarehouse)

       

      On Monarch v8.02 and running Oracle 11g, I can access the table/view in oracle. Running V11.6 (32bit) Monarch and Oracle 11g, I get the following error message:

       

      "an unexpected error occured while building the data view"

       

      Im using the project developed in v8.02. Is there some setting that should be changed in the new version? Are the projects written in xml differently? Im hoping here that I dont have to do a complete rebuild.

       

      The xml is pointing to a view rather than a table. so its sql pre prep that get the table ready for extraction. I dont get how its not working in the later version of Monarch.

       

      Any ideas anyone? Iv been bashing my head off this for 2 days now!

       

      Thanks,

       

      Alan

        • ODBC in Monarch v11.6 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Olly Bond

          Hello Alan,

           

          You shouldn't have to rebuild - the xprj project file from v8 should work in v11. Can you open the project file in Monarch on the DataPump  server? Does this connect manually? Is there a DSN for Oracle installed on the DataPump machine?

           

          http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17952_01/refman-5.1-en/connector-odbc-configuration-dsn-windows.html[/url]

           

          Best wishes,

           

          Olly

            • ODBC in Monarch v11.6 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Alca _

              Hi Olly,

               

              We dont have the server up and running (yet), however, I should be able to connect on my own machine through the project. I actually have 2 machines, one with Datapump on it, and a laptop with v11.6 Monarch. I can manually open the project on the Datapump machine  (with Monarch v.8, not actually running the export manually, or running it via Datapump) and it connects fine. Repeat the process on my laptop with 11.6 and it crashes. Everything looks exactly the same. I can ping ping the oracle space ok, every setting is exactly as it should be. Got DSN for oracle set up on both machines.

               

              Totally at a loss with this one.

                • ODBC in Monarch v11.6 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Olly Bond

                  Hello Alan,

                   

                  Hmmm - is it permissions? The DataPump is running under a service account. Does that have all the right access to the DSN and Oracle?

                   

                  Best wishes,

                   

                  Olly

                    • ODBC in Monarch v11.6 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Alca _

                      Thats the thing..its running fine on Datapump through the process, and opening the project manually in v8.02 works fine.

                       

                      Its getting it to work manually in v11.6 thats causing the issue. I want to ensure processes are tested manaully first before I get to the stage of trying to import the backup zip file onto the server (which I know is going to cause a severe headache - but one thing at a time!)

                       

                      All the DSN configuration and all ODBC setting are fine.

                       

                      When I go through the database wizard to select data in the warehouse, I can see tables, but no views (which I believe are created via a sql stored proceedure) Just odd that this works in v8 and not V11.

                       

                      Ill keep trying. I'm waiting for access to the support portal as I really need to get this fixed.

                        • ODBC in Monarch v11.6 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Alca _

                          Think this might be cracked. I switched to OLED DB connection. There's actually something about this on the support portal as well, but we managed to find this out beforehand.

                           

                          Once I got the connection into the database and applied the model, i created a new project export which gave me the correct syntax when i edited it in notepad. I then took the new string and pasted it in over the top of the project data which was created in v8.

                           

                          It seems to work, however, what it does mean is that I now have to manaully amend close to 40 projects that were created in v8..