3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:16 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Help Defining Template Roles

Matixsnow _

I am still confused on template roles...I think.  Can someone tell me if my report and template roles defined below make sense?  I could not get my report to work in another configuration.

My concern is I will hit the Page Footer limit (not sure what the limit is in v11).  Any idea what the overall template limit is in v11?

Account Address (Append)

Account Number (Detail)

Account Balance (Page Footer)

Account Deposits (Page Footer)

-

Report repeats for next Account

Thanks again for the help!

-Jeff

• Help Defining Template Roles
          Olly Bond

Hello Jeff,

The first template to choose is the Detail, and this should be for the line that occurs most frequently. So here, the Deposits, I guess, will be the most frequent line, so make those the detail, then the rest are Appends if they appear above the Detail, or Footers if below.

You need a special type of Append called a Page Header only if you have a multi-line Detail that is split over page breaks. The limit, by the way, is about 22 templates in total, but only ever one Detail.  If you start processing really gnarly XML files then you might begin to get close to the limit, but for an account statement in plain text I don't think you should worry.

Hope this helps,

Matixsnow _

Olly,

Thanks for the response.  Very helpful.  I appreciate it a lot. 

-Jeff

Grant Perkins

Jeff, just to add a little to Olly's response ...

A typical  report with some obvious detail might have a list of transactions for an  account - depositis and withdrawals - that would most likely be  considered to be the detail lines.

There will likely then be some  general information about the account above the details lines (rarely  but not unheard of that could be below the details) and probably above  that some information about the customer (who may have several  accounts). It is possible, though perhaps unusual, for an account to  have several "customers". In that case the order may be reversed. Either  way Account and Customer would usually be Appends in Monarch  terminology with each Append being connected to one or more detail  lines. Appends, as mentioned above, USUALLY are presented ABOVE the  details lines of a report but there can be some exceptions related to  individual analysis needs and there are ways to address that situation  in Monarch should the need arise.

FOOTERS are used for data lines  that appear AFTER the detail lines, most typically for summary details   - Total transactions and that sort of thing. Thinking of the structure  suggested above  they may be subtotals for a detail transaction type  (Deposits, withdrawals), an account or a customer - or indeed one for  each of those. Or perhaps (less usefully in most cases) a subtotal for a  section of the report or a total for the entire report. Footers might  also be used for other things so long as they appear at a point that is  useful for the analysis required - perhaps a collection of notes about a  customer providing the notes can be linked by footer to only the  intended customer.

If you can visualise the structure of a report  it is a great help when deciding how to model it. Some reports may not  have a visually obvious structure and can take more time to analyse  before you can properly "see" the structure of the contents you need to  work with and map them to the combination of detail/append/footer  templates you will need to deploy.

HTH.

Grant