4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:15 AM by elginreigner _ RSS

Monarch on Windows 7

SeanM _

What is the earliest version of Monarch that will run on Windows 7?

Thanks

Sean

• Monarch on Windows 7
          Olly Bond

Hello Sean

If you want a really early version, I got v1 running on XP a few years ago. It didn't have all the features I wanted, wasn't supported, and my network admins these days won't let me run 16 bit applications anymore, but it was fun to see that it still worked. Tabbing your way around the DOS style interface was quite a challenge.

If you allow unsupported 16 bit applications in your enterprise, then you could go for that. I think there are some users here on the forums who still have the old floppy disks - aha, that's a challenge, you might need a USB floppy drive. I think I've got one here, and I'm visiting Ireland in late October - I'd be happy to bring it with me if you want.

I remember John Kitchen, ex VP of Marketing at Datawatch, saying he'd got a request from a user - this is only a couple of years ago - to deploy v1 without licence charges as it was so old it ought to be open source. Sadly, Datawatch didn't own the intellectual property of Monarch then so John wasn't in a position to oblige, but it might be worth asking the new management?

Reading between the lines of your email, perhaps the automation clause in the licence agreement is causing a problem for you? You're not alone - the proposed cost of a desktop Monarch licence with automation is pretty steep. Tempting as it may be to deploy v1, that doesn't sound like a win for either you or for Datawatch. Finding a sensible roadmap going forward that lets you migrate gracefully to a supported and licenced server-based deployment would seem more constructive.

If you'd like some indepedent advice from someone who's deployed DataPump and Datawatch|ES, please drop me a line or reply to my PM.

Best wishes,

Olly

• Monarch on Windows 7
              SeanM _

Thanks for that Olli.

The issue at the moment is we have some users who have upgraded from XP to Win7 including transferring their copy of Monarch 9 and now they are having problems. Just wondering is there a known issue with older versions of Monarch under Windows 7

Gruss,

Sean

• Monarch on Windows 7
                  Olly Bond

Hello Sean,

The earliest version of Monarch that is certified as being compatible with Windows 7 is version 11. Monarch v9 went out of maintenance about four years ago, so on the bright side it looks like you've saved four years of maintenance for all your users. I think a lot of companies cut budgets in the financial crisis and perhaps software maintenance was maybe an easy one to save on. At the time of writing I think 11.7 is the released version, but I think 11.8 might be just around the corner. There are options to deploying Monarch that don't require a desktop installation - which might be particularly suitable if you need to automate Monarch projects.

Best wishes,

Olly

• Monarch on Windows 7
                elginreigner _

What is the earliest version of Monarch that will run on Windows 7?

Thanks

Sean[/QUOTE]

We run 10.5 here successfully on Win7 (32 and 64 bit). We have run back to V9 Pro on 7, 64 bit, without too much issue.