16 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:15 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

No search input field in Monarch V11.7

reeves

After the upgrade/patch from v11.6 to v11.7, the searchbar does no longer show the input field and search button. However the 'Search options' and 'Document options'  are shown in the searchbar. As a result, I can not search through my data windown in Monarch.

Checking with my colleagues we've discovered some with this issue and others where the search input field and search button is shown as expected.

For now, I've recovered back to Monarch v11.6. But as a company we try to keep our versions synchronised. Is anybody facing the same issue? Is there a solution for this issue?

• No search input field in Monarch V11.7
          Olly Bond

Hello Reeves,

The search pane that pops up when you hit CTRL+F seems to behave like it ought to in my copy of 11.7. It also appears or disappears when clicking on the icon showing binoculars.

Aha - this may be a floating window issue cause by dual monitors / laptops on docking stations? If it defaults to AutoHide it might hidden over in the right hand side of the screen, which if Monarch isn't maximised to your current monitor settings, might be out of view?

If you can email me a screenshot I might be able to help further.

Best wishes,

Olly

reeves

Dear Olly,

Thanks for the fast reply.

I think I've not been clear enough on the issue. Yes I can see the search bar appearing when using ctrl + F, but within this bar the actual text field to type in the search query (or expression) and the search button (the search glass icon) do not appear.

Remarkably the checkboxes listed under Search options and Document options do appear.

As you rightfully mention, it should work in 11.7 as it works at some of my collegues. However some others have the same issue as I have. We're all using Windows 7 (incl. updates as those are remotely pushed), so it shouldn't be the OS.

I'm afraid I can't send you a screenshot, as I've already downgraded to v11.6. Reinstalling Monarch entirely didn't solve the issue.

Regards,

Koen

Olly Bond

Hello Koen,

That's a strange behaviour!

I'll draw this to the attention of the developers.

There might be some weirdness if you are using the Aero settings of Windows with the WPF, but it's very odd that some users get this and others not.

Best wishes,

Olly

reeves

Hi Olly,

Thanks for your efforts so far. Looking forward to their solution.

Thanks,

Koen

reeves

Hereby a brief status update.

The Monarch team is unable to reproduce the issue. In the meanwhile I found out that the issue does not occur when opening txt files in Monarch. Only when MS Access or csv files are opened, the search input bar does not appear.

So far no solution. The only alternative received so far is to reinstall .NET framework and Monarch, which we try early next week.

Regards,

Koen

Olly Bond

Hello Koen,

That's even odder - on my copy of 11.7 I can open an Access file and the Search button and bar behave normally. I can float, dock, dock as document all fine.

Best wishes,

Olly

Rick Conklin

We also have experienced this identical problem after moving up to v11.7.  The window opens up with the various options, such as using an expression.  However, the top line where I would enter a search text is just not there anymore.

We are pulling data from SQL data sets.

it's a little frustrating.

Rick Conklin

Wichita KS

Grant Perkins

Is this perhaps something to do with windows Aero settings or some other aspect of the user configurable screen presentation?

Just a guess and maybe something to compare between those whose screen work and those whose screens to not work as expected. So many options - so much potential for confusion.

Grant

reeves

Another update on the situation. The Datawatch support team asked us to reinstall .NET framework and Monarch as they were not able to reproduce the issue. Thus IT reinstalled the .NET framework and Monarch. Unfortunately it doesn't matter.

However we did discover that the order of opening files is important. When we first open a project which is based on a report (.txt), the search input field appears. If then a project is opened with a database (.csv), the search input field is still available. If you then reopen the project with a report (txt), more functions fail. E.g. the report window is completely blank and does not show the txt file.

When opening the projects in reverse order (first the database project and then the report project) the search input field does not appear in both cases.

Hopefully this will help others to reproduce the issue.

Regards,

Koen

Grant Perkins

I have made a quick check of my 11.7 system (64bit running on Windows 7 64bit OS) and cannot see the reported problem.

Are you running the same report and database projects on the systems that DO work as expected and the systems that do not? If so it would seem to be a system configuration difference of some sort that is causing the disruption but there are so many possible influencers that finding the reason may not be at all easy - there are probably millions of files involved and trillions of combinations.

For what it is worth I have followed similar problems (things work fine on one machine but not on another that seems to be identical so far as anyone can tell) reported in completely different software for totally different purposes than Monarch addresses. They can be equally difficult to identify before the developers can assess whether to create a 'fix' to work around the problem or advise about how to repair the core system components .... or whatever is required.

One good things about Windows is that there seem to be fewer issues of this type than people find when running Macs. Unfortunately that is not a great basis for obtaining satisfaction!

Grant

ARICE01 _

I am having the "Search screen" problem in 11.7 system (64bit running on Windows 7 64bit OS).  I have been working with Datawatch support without good results.  They are insisting that I do a complete uninstall/re-install.  I am resisting doing this without them being online to see my screen and the results I experience.  I am getting a little fed up with Datawatch and their product support.  Seems that pc users are second class customers and that are rapidly abandoning this segment of their customer base, despite the fact that annual maintenance is paid up.  Something as simple as Search should work without this annoying issue.  If anyone has a breakthrough, please share it in this forum so I can try to do self maintenance.  In the meantime, I will start my journey away from Datawatch after over 15 years using the product.

Grant Perkins

OK, I too can see this now and, as reported earlier, the problem seems to appear if the first  source opened is a database of some sort. If the first source opened in the Monarch session is a report file it looks like things are OK for any subsequent database openings. However I cannot be certain on that as I have not tested extensively.

11.7 64bit running on Windows 7.

HTH.

Grant Perkins

reeves

The support department of Monarch gave a workaround:

1. Open Monarch

2. Open a report

3. Close the report

4. Open a database (project)

Datamax _

Hello

I have the same issue with 11.8., working with a single xlsx-file without externa lookup-tables. I have no Input field, no search button, but all options are shown.