9 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:15 AM by Rebekah T RSS

Managing Empty Output Files

Rebekah T

I am new to Data Pump - and we are on version 10.5. Our Excel reports for certain cost centers are often empty - is there any way to send the end user information about the blank files (a listing of the file names, for instance), rather than have them open each to see whether information exists for review? If we were able to log the items without info in the review email, rather than sending the files themselves, this would serve as an audit trail.

Currently I am placing the output on a shared drive and the email that is generated contains a link to the location - once they click on the link all of the files are there for review but a frustrating number of them contain no data. I sold Data Pump to our institution as a time saver, so it would be great to not generate empty files, but a notation instead.

I didn't locate any related info on this issue in the Help files - thanks for any assistance you can provide!

Rebekah

• Managing Empty Output Files
          Olly Bond

Hello Rebekah,

Yes, you can find a way around this. Are the Excel exports from a summary or are they a filtered view of a table? Do they each come from separate input files or is there one big report containing all the source data?

Best wishes,

Olly

Rebekah T

Input files are separate, and for the most part they are filtered views of a table (one I have set up as a summary view).

Thanks very much for having a look, Olly - I appreciate it.

Olly Bond

Hello Rebekah,

If the input files are separate, can't you use the verification options to check that the unfiltered table has more than 1 row for each file?

Best wishes,

Olly

Rebekah T

I'm giving that a try now - but is there any way to include in my export email a listing of the reports not included, due to the fact that they had no activity today?

Rebekah T

I am still getting a blank Excel doc even when I specify that the unfiltered table has more than one row.

Olly Bond

Hello Rebekah,

You can set the process to stop when the verification condition isn't met, and indeed to also trigger a system alert - which can be an email saying "Process Name ABC stopped because there was no activity".

I don't think it would be easy without programming to get the system alert to send an email to different people, rather than just to the system admin, but I could be wrong.

Are you opening multiple text reports at the same time in this process?

Best wishes,

Olly

Rebekah T

Yes, I guess that is where the issue rests. I have multiple projects in the process and I don't really want to stop the whole thing. I just want to skip the file if it has no data, and then report that in the email. I say "just" as though it is an easy thing! Oh, well - I will fiddle some more and see if I can come up with something that works, even if it doesn't line up with my vision. Thanks so much for having a look, and offering your opinion. It is always appreciated!

Rebekah