3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:15 AM by warlok RSS

Duplication Question

warlok

Hi All,

It's been awhile since I've posted on here and essentially, I've moved on from doing a lot of work in Monarch into a different direction in life.

However, recently I was asked to look into an issue and create a Monarch project which would involve pulling data from a text report. That's the easy part.

From the data pulled, I was asked to show only duplicated records based on certain criteria and I've managed to do this using the Advanced filter option.

I'm left with a resulting data that has duplicated data which occurs in groups of 2 instances, 3 instances, 4 instances and more.

As the final step, I've been asked to alter the resulting criteria to show only the duplicated results that show in the file 4 or more times.

Because the advance filter doesn't have an option to limit the duplication based on instances, I'm stuck right now with just having any records that duplicate at all showing.

I've looked through the forum and not seen any question like this asked so far. And I'm not sure if anyone else has come across a situation like this or a way around this.

I would just like to ad that I'm using Monarch 10.0

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James

• Duplication Question
          Olly Bond

Hello Warlok,

This operation requires two models - as the filter is a table operation, whereas the counting is a summary operation. Monarch won't let you use the results of a summary in the table in the same model, but you can get the result you want by building the summary first, exporting this as an Access database, and then making an external lookup to this database and filtering on the results you bring in.

If I get a chance, I think I might make a blog post about this as it's a useful technique.

Best wishes,

Olly

• Duplication Question
              warlok

Hi Olly,

That would be great.

I knew this would not be a straightforward build and was more expecting the answer that it can't be done.

Please let me know if you do post his as a blog post and I will be attempting to come up with a solution myself based on your suggestion.

Thanks,

James

• Duplication Question
                warlok

Hi Olly,

Just wanted to let you know I've figured out and your suggestion was very useful for me. It put me on the correct path to complete my project.

Much thanks for your insight.

James