7 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:15 AM by Traci _ RSS

Summary Sort

Traci _

I have a field I am trying to sort by but it will not sort. Its an object listed as 1-03.  When I first trapped the data I defined it as character, if I change it to decimal I get no data.  I am so lost, where did I go wrong?

• Summary Sort
          Olly Bond

Hello Traci,

Is this field the first key field in your summary?

Best wishes,

Olly

• Summary Sort
              Traci _

No, does it need to be?  I am tasked with taking a report and putting every single field on it to be exported to excel.  It is to look exactly as is appears on the report so I am not sure switching it would be the best option unless there is no other option.  I am all over the place on how to tackle the totals portion and thought it would be best to do it in the summary as opposed to trapping the data.

• Summary Sort
                  Olly Bond

Hello Traci,

You're quite right that it's best done in the summary. You might find this trick helpful.

In the Table window, define a calculated field called "Record" with the formula Recno(). This will just list each record in the order it appears in the original report.

In the Summary, make the Recno() a key field (you can hide it) to force the ordering to follow the original.

You can handle more complicated requirements using other "invisible data" fields like Page(), Line() and Rowno(). There's a link to an old webinar on this here: https://www.livemeeting.com/cc/datawatch/view?id=QPC3BW-1[/url]

If you are still stuck, feel free to email me the report and model and I'll take a look.

Best wishes,

Olly