5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:15 AM by Itech _ RSS

View Description of export in Monarch 11

Itech _

In Monarch 10.5 a description of each export could be viewed from the Project Exports dialog.  This helped knowing which export to run for projects with multiple exports.

In Monarch 11.3 there is no export description displayed in the Project Exports dialog.  We have had complaints from our users on this change.  Is there a way to turn this feature back on in Monarch 11?

Thanks.

• View Description of export in Monarch 11
          Grant Perkins

Monarch 11.5 shows any Comments recorded for the Export and the interpreted description of what it will be doing based on the process defined.

In the list of available exports when selecting which ones are to be run only the export name (hopefully something useful) is listed in the selection box. However hovering the cursor over the name of the export should produce a box that shows both Comment and interpreted description as above.

I'm not able to check this for 11.3 at the moment.

HTH.

Grant

Itech _

Monarch 11.3 does show the comment and brief description when an export is hovered over.  One user specifically wanted to easily see the export location which the hover box does not show, however they may still find the available information useful.

Thank you for your feedback.

Olly Bond

Hello ITech,

Personally, I think that seeing these things on screen isn't enough. Certainly seeing them only when you know to hover over something isn't any way to document your project. I'm working on this issue to attempt to document multiple projects clearly, as it's very easy to make mistakes when you build a sequence of models and projects that depend on each others' exports.

Are you using DataPump v11?

Best wishes,

Olly

Grant Perkins

Monarch 11.3 does show the comment and brief description when an export is hovered over.  One user specifically wanted to easily see the export location which the hover box does not show, however they may still find the available information useful.

Thank you for your feedback.[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong but I seem to recall that V10 did not show the export location either although if running as a batch I think the idea would be that it goes to a 'known place' mostly.

One way to try to work with that is by using consistent naming conventions in the export name and include the destination or, perhaps less good, to add the information to the comment for the export definition.

However if the number of projects and the number and frequence of reports in them is great enough to be challenging to the people using the system it may well point to seeking out the benefits of Data Pump. There comes a time when moving to the next level becomes cost effective.

Meanwhile there is always the option to add the users request to the 'Wish List' thread so that it is not mislaid during future development reviews.

HTH.

Grant

Itech _

We are using DataPump 10.5 for most of our reports.  One department runs their own reports using Monarch 11.3. 

The user who is having the most trouble has several hundred Monarch models.  I don't think all of them are used regularly but a significant number are used quarterly or annually.  Some of the models/projects have up to 30 exports although most have less than 5.  Monarch 10.5 made it convenient to see the destination and filter for each export.  

For now the user will use a combination of the tooltip popup and the Project Information screen to see the same information.  Thanks to Olly and Grant for your responses.