4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:15 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

How to show all data when only one field meets criteria

Rebekah T

I would like to show all trapped fields relating to the customer or account number when ONE of the trapped fields meets the criteria - when product type is in the 400 -

Example:

[FONT="Courier New"]

000055555 Mouse Mickey                                                                               

PRODUCT DEFAULTS                                                                               

Product type                  420                               2/19/13 15:24      

Account designation           3                                 2/19/13 15:24      

Penalty routine number        01                                2/19/13 15:24      

NEW ACCT SETUP - BASIC                                                                               

Opening date (c)              02/19/13                          2/19/13 15:24     

Branch number                 100                               2/19/13 15:24      

Primary officer               bbbb                              2/19/13 15:24      

Interest rate                                    .27000         2/19/13 15:24      

Personal-non personal flag    P                                 2/19/13 15:24     

Original amount of instrumen                3,400.00            2/19/13 15:24      

000044444 Mouse Minnie                                                                               

PRODUCT DEFAULTS                                                                               

Product type                  700                               2/19/13 15:24      

Account designation           3                                 2/19/13 15:24      

Penalty routine number        01                                2/19/13 15:24      

NEW ACCT SETUP - BASIC                                                                               

Opening date (c)              02/19/13                          2/19/13 15:24     

Branch number                 100                               2/19/13 15:24      

Primary officer               aaaa                              2/19/13 15:24      

Interest rate                                    .27000         2/19/13 15:24      

Personal-non personal flag    P                                 2/19/13 15:24     

/FONT

so in this case, I want to filter for and export ALL of Mickey's fields, but NONE of Minnie's based on the one field - product type.

Any hope for this?

Thanks, Rebekah

• How to show all data when only one field meets criteria
          Grant Perkins

Hi Rebekah,

Well, with a nice consistent looking report as in the example you COULD select the entire record as the template fo r the model and then set the trap on the for line of the sample for the Product Type  by entering the trap value to match the type - 420 on this example. In reality you may need some additional trap info to ensure uniqueness but the theory would be the same.

However a more normal approach, usually more beneficial in the long run, would be to map for the entire record without any special value selections and then apply a filter to the data in the table to allow you to work with just the records that have a Product Type value = 420.

Doing that makes one template usable for any value of Product Type code by the simple application of a filter. Or several filters used together if the analysis need is more complex at some point.

You can apply the filter to the model after extraction of data to the table or as a selection criterion during the extraction.

Does this help at all?

If you have not used filters before they are not difficult but it can sometimes help to have a little guidance at the start of the journey .

See what you make of the Help information and perhaps the section(s) in the Learning Guide as a backgrounder and then ask more questins here.

On the other hand if you know all about filters but have a different need or a temporary mental block - welcome to the club. It happens to all of us from time to time!

HTH.

Grant

Rebekah T

I apologize - I did not use a very good example. The information is not that static in the real report - sometimes product type is listed, and sometimes it is not among the changed or new fields. Although I can filter on product type, I cannot figure out how to trap all of the other pertinent fields for the customer - meaning every record that has changed for a customer - suppose, instead, that the second customer record is:

[FONT="Courier New"][SIZE="2"] 000007777 DUCK DAISY   100                                                                               

REINVESTMENT INSTRUCTIONS                                                                               

Reinvestment product nbr                       10               2/15/13 11:37     

Reinvestment rate                                .0006          2/15/13 11:37     

Reinvestment effective date   02/13/13                          2/15/13 11:37       

Request method                W                                 2/15/13 11:37       

Date of instructions          02/15/13                          2/15/13 11:37      /SIZE[/FONT]

How do I capture all of the fields that pertain to Mickey, and leave Daisy out? Only the changed fields are listed, but they are not static from record to record...

Thanks again,

Rebekah

Rebekah T

Never mind - I figured it out -

Detail = all of the fields that I want to capture

Append 1 = trapped field using the words "product type"

Append 2 = customer name, acct number

Append 3 = section header

I'm cool now - thanks very much for standing by while I worked that out!

Grant Perkins

Ah ha!

More of a challenge than it at first seemed!   

I reckon you got it right. There may be half a chance to combine Append 1 and 2 into a single append but you are probably better off keeping them separate. More flexible for any future development.

Did you set Append 1 to trap on Product Type as a direct trap in the trap line or did you create a field and set "product type" as a preceding string? Either way should work. The preceding string option could be useful if the field is not always on the same line but is at least on or below the first line of the Append template in which you use it.

Grant