11 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:15 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Monarch 11.3 Losing Settings

Itech _

We have a Monarch 11.3 user who randomly loses all of their recent items and custom Quick Access bar items.  This only happens in Monarch.  Excel and other programs do not have any problems.  Has anyone else had any issues with this occurring?

I would also like to know where the recent items and Quick Access settings are stored. We want to back them up so they can be restored the next time they disappear.

• Monarch 11.3 Losing Settings
          Grant Perkins

I think you will find that Windows still writes recent files info into the registry but the ribbon based windows used in V11 have user specific settings that, as far as I can tell in a desktop single user installation would typically be found in

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Monarch\Preferences.xml

where Quick Access Tab values are also to be found.

You can, of course, open the file in Notepad, or a browser window (or even Monarch of course!) but edit with care should you choose to do so.

It may be worth pointing out that the entries for 'recent files' values are dynamic and time stamped so restoring those values from a previous version of the file may or may not be entirely useful.

If you have a network installation I would guess that the file may be elsewhere in the networked file systems.

I think identifying the cause of the problem (does the file get cleared somehow when it should not be cleared or is it simply not read at the appropriate time or ...) for the user in question may be a better solution. Does the user always log on with the same name?

I should ass that I have no insider technical knowledge of this functionality but based on what I can see in my 11.5 installation the information offered above should be correct

HTH.

Grant

Itech _

Preferences location was correct.  We were able to restore the file and successfully use the restored Quick Access and recent items.  It will work as a temporary workaround.

User always logs in with the same name.  Always from the same computer.

Thanks for your response.

Grant Perkins

Preferences location was correct.  We were able to restore the file and successfully use the restored Quick Access and recent items.  It will work as a temporary workaround.

User always logs in with the same name.  Always from the same computer.

Thanks for your response.[/QUOTE]

Had the file gone completely or reverted to a default 'empty' state?

Or maybe still existed but in some sort of corrupt form that was unreadable or unwriteable?

Very odd.

If you get a repeat of the problem I would suggest logging a ticket with support and maybe checking the Windows events log.

Grant

Itech _

The user lost settings twice today.  She sometimes works with several instances of Monarch open at the same time and that is when it seems to happen.  One of the instances was evidentally not able to retrieve the preferences on startup and didn't show any recent items.  The other instance was normal.  I saved the instance with no recent files showing and the preference file was overwritten to a much smaller size.  I then saved the instance that was normal and the preference file was back to normal.

Now, I just need to find out why Monarch is unable to retrieve settings at times.

Grant Perkins

If running multiple instances the user will likely have the risk that the recent items (or, potentially even the preferences) are not always going to reflect the most recent activity - as you found when shutting down the instances.

Obviously the preferences are likely to be more important, operationally, that the recent files which are more of a convenience factor.

Although working with multiple instances is possible I have never seen anything to suggested that the ability to do so is a feature of the software nor that it has been specifically tested. Do the other users who have no problems also run multiple instances? If one or more of thenm does and have no problems to worrying about then I guess that would suggest that something different was happening on the troubled user's machine. Difficult to know what. I wonder if in might show up in the Windows event log somewhere? Or maybe a Monarch session log file.

Grant

Itech _

I believe we have this figured out.  If the recent items list has thirty items, and the next item opened is a text file, then Monarch 11.3 will be unable to read in the preference file the next time it is opened.  If the 31st and later files opened are projects or models then everything is fine.  We were able to duplicate this behavior on other machines.   And of course, the recent items would need to all be different.

So I believe this is a bug in Monarch 11.3.  Anyone care to test this behaviour in Monarch 11.5?

Grant Perkins

I believe we have this figured out.  If the recent items list has thirty items, and the next item opened is a text file, then Monarch 11.3 will be unable to read in the preference file the next time it is opened.  If the 31st and later files opened are projects or models then everything is fine.  We were able to duplicate this behavior on other machines.   And of course, the recent items would need to all be different.

So I believe this is a bug in Monarch 11.3.  Anyone care to test this behaviour in Monarch 11.5?[/QUOTE]

FWIW my Recent list in 11.5 does not seem to exceed 30 entries.

I have not been able to reproduce the problem - but then I may not have been establishing all of the criteria in quite the same way.

What happens if the recent by file type options it used? (Report, Model, Project and database).

Any difference at all?

Grant

Itech _

FWIW my Recent list in 11.5 does not seem to exceed 30 entries.

I have not been able to reproduce the problem - but then I may not have been establishing all of the criteria in quite the same way.

What happens if the recent by file type options it used? (Report, Model, Project and database).

Grant[/QUOTE]

The recent items list in Monarch 11.3 does not exceed 30 items either.

The problem doesn't occur when selecting a text file from any of the recent file lists.  It only occurs when opening a new text file when there are 30 items already in the recently used list.  Using File -> Open Report causes the same problem.  Here is how I was able to duplicate the issue our user was having:

1. Make sure there are 30 items in the recently used list. 

2. Go to File -> Open and open a text file that is NOT already in the recent file list. 

3. Close Monarch.

4. Open Monarch and all of the recent files are missing.

My theory is that the list is only meant to hold 30 items and opening a text file does not clear out the oldest item, making the preference file unusable.  I'll do some more testing on this tomorrow.

Grant Perkins

OK  - I was close but may have missed the close with a txt file as the last file opened and added to the list.

Have tried that now in 11.5 and don't see a problem so far. So that suggests that either 11.5 no longer hase the problem or there are other factors involved with creating the problem which are not yet obvious.

If someone could try the same steps with 11.3 that would be very helpful.

Grant

Itech _

Grant - When I was duplicating the problem before I was starting with the users last good preference file.  Today I started from scratch since you were unable to duplicate.  I now think the issue is how large the recent text files section is in the preference file.  Everything is fine until the  section of the preference file exceeds ~8500 characters. 

When I started with the users preference file it always happeded on the 30th text file opened.   However, that was just because the section was around 8400 characters when I started and the addition of my new file went over the limit.

Today I started with an empty preference file.  Then I opened 28 text files where the full path and file name was over 116 characters for each.  The file name itself was ~25 characters.  The next time I opened Monarch all of the recent files were missing.

Thanks for all of your help!

Grant Perkins

Aha!

Now that sounds like  very promising diagnosis in terms of anyone's ability to replicate it cleanly.

If I were you I think I would send that to DW support (you may have done do already ....) and retire to await results.

Grant