8 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:15 AM by Olly Bond RSS

invalid PDF file

karen123 _

When I try to open this PDF file I get an error message that "this is not a valid PDF file and will be opened in plain text" which is then unreadable. What causes this? What do i need to tell the sender to do differently?

Thanks

• invalid PDF file
          Olly Bond

Hello Karen,

Can you open the PDF in Acrobat Reader, select all the text, and copy it to Notepad? If so, Monarch should be able to handle it.

Feel free to email me the file if you are allowed to.

Best wishes,

Olly

• invalid PDF file
              karen123 _

Hi Olly,

I was able to copy and paste into wordpad and now I can use the report in Monarch

Thanks for your help.

Karen

• invalid PDF file

I have the same problem. It started over a year ago almost 2; I can't remember exactly. I have the full blown version of Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.5.2. Everyday I create a PDF from an email file. At the end of month I combine them into 1 PDF file using Adobe Acrobat 9.5.2. Everything worked great until one month about 2 years ago. When I opened the combined PDF in Monarch Pro V.9.1 it said it was an invalid PDF. It did not matter if it was a daily PDF or a combined PDF; if it was created by Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.5.2 it would not open in Monarch.

What I did to get around it was I re-printed the Combined PDF with a free product called PDF995. I was then able to open the PDF in Monarch. I also tried CutePDF, but that produced the same invaild PDF results when I tried to open it in Monarch.

I'm not sure what changed within Abode Acrobat Pro, but that appears to be the problem.

If I create a PDF from the regular email using CutePDF it will open in Monarch without a problem. I have to use Adobe Acrobat Pro because it is the only tool I have that will combine multiple PDF's into 1 PDF.

I can open a PDF created with Adobe Acrobat Pro, with Adobe Reader or any other PDF reader, but with Monarch it says it is an Invalid PDF. Using PDF995 has been my only solution although I'm sure there are other PDF creator tools out there that work. I just haven't had a need as I use PDF995.

I not sure if this is a Monarch problem, but I'm sure it could be fixed in Monarch.

• invalid PDF file
                      Olly Bond

Hello Dan,

If you have a sample file, I'd be happy to have a look. I've found good results merging PDF files with CutePDF before using v10.5 Pro.

Best wishes,

Olly

• invalid PDF file
                          Dirk Schulze

I'm having a similar problem.  I'm using Monarch Pro v11.3 32-bit.  When I try to open a PDF file I received from a client I get a message that says "Failed while attempting to extract text from (filepath & name)".  I've accessed previous PDF files from this same client with no problem.  I've gone through through the file properties and the only difference I can find is the file that fails is set to YES for Fast Web View, whereas the the file that works is set to NO.  The PDF files were generated by Amyuni PDF Converter v4.0.1.2 and produce PDF Version 10.6 (Acrobat 7.x).

I can paste the data into Notepad but I already have numerous models built based off of the PDF format.  I'll give PDF995 or CutePDF a try.  But if anyone has any insight into dealing with PDF files I'd greatly appreciate hearing it.

• invalid PDF file
                              Grant Perkins

Hmm.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/X/pro/using/WS58a04a822e3e50102bd615109794195ff-7f52.w.html[/URL]

The word "restructures" stands out there.

My guess would be that such an output is significantly different, structurally, to a "normal" pdf and so is likely unsupported in Monarch.

You may want to raise the question with DW support.

I have no idea what the  implications are for working with the file by converting it to an alternative format or changing it back a normal view file.

Research required at this end .... I would be pleased to hear about anything you discover.

Grant

• invalid PDF file
                                  sdem _

I am having the same problem as skinman except that the situation is reversed -- the files I've successfully extracted have Fast Web View set to YES.  The error occurs on a PDF file that is set to NO, although I can't say this is the cause of the error.  I too already have models created for the particular report in question and am just attempting to extract from an updated version of the report.  I've successfully extracted PDFs provided by this source (a vendor) time after time, and have checked several of the other PDFs which are all set to YES.  I guess my only option is to try copying to a text file and rebuilding the model if necessary.

• invalid PDF file
                                      Olly Bond

Hello sdem,

I know the developers of Monarch are particularly keen to see examples of PDFs that behave badly, to try to improve future versions of Monarch for all the other users.

If you can drop me an email, I'll happily connect you with them directly.

Best wishes,

Olly