3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:15 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Slow exports and data view issues

clukasavitz _

I recently upgraded from Version 10.5 to 11.5.  One thing I am having issues with is when I open an Excel document as a databse and try to link to a table in .mdb format, I occasionally get an error along the lines of "Unable to build data view".  If I try to refresh everything freezes up.  I have found a workaround to save the model and then close everything and reopen.  Everything loads correctly then.  I wonder if anyone else has had issues like that and how to get around them.

It also seems exports are exponentially slower.  I have tried running the project exports in .BAT and going into the actual project and it seems like it takes FOREVER.  I discovered that exporting to .dbf or .mdb is slow but exporting to .xls, .xlsx, or .aacdb works just fine.  Is there a reason for this?

• Slow exports and data view issues
          Olly Bond

Hello clukasavitz, and welcome,

Version 11 should handle the exports to MS formats fine - it uses the Access Database Engine rather than the old JET technology. I don't know about .dbf as its fifteen years since I touched that, but if you have sample files that you'd like me to run a speed check on my laptop I'd be happy to help.

Best wishes,

Olly

clukasavitz _

Thanks Olly,

It seems .mdb works just fine now.  It must have been just my one export that was slow.  Still having issues with .DBF exporting.  Works fine on 10.5 but 11.5 it's about 5/10 records per second where on 10.5 it was about 500 records per second.  I'd be curious to know what changed.

Grant Perkins

Thanks Olly,

It seems .mdb works just fine now.  It must have been just my one export that was slow.  Still having issues with .DBF exporting.  Works fine on 10.5 but 11.5 it's about 5/10 records per second where on 10.5 it was about 500 records per second.  I'd be curious to know what changed.[/QUOTE]

It could be worth putting that question to the support team  - such a perfomance difference is rather too large to ignore with out some form of assessment and, hopefully, an indication of what to check for.

Grant