4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:15 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

    Strange Problem - 10.5 - existing project - filters no longer available

    barnold _

      I have been running 10.5 for quite a while, and have had it installed on a new machine for about 60 days. Everything worked fine until last week. Now, suddenly, when I open an existing project, go to the data/table view, and click the "filters" button, the application seems to lose focus, and every subsequent click produces an audible "ding". When I press Esc, the program returns to normal functioning (meaning I can move the focus around amongst the cells of data). The exact smae experience occurs when clicking the "external lookups" button. The new box is win 7 pro/64, SP1.

       

      Any thoughts on what might cause this sudden issue?

        • Strange Problem - 10.5 - existing project - filters no longer available
          Olly Bond

          Hello barnold, and welcome,

           

          Are you by any chance running two monitors?

           

          I suspect it might be that the dialog box for the filters is opening in empty space where the second monitor used to be...

           

          ALT+SPACE, M for Move, then left arrow until you see the dialog should help.

           

          Best wishes,

           

          Olly

            • Strange Problem - 10.5 - existing project - filters no longer available
              barnold _

              Thanks Olly,

              Just one monitor. It has been recommended that I move to 11.3 (which also means upgrading my SLR (ODBC) DSN) so that all is 64-bit (on Win 7/64). Unfortunately, that has resulted in a different problem..."Handle is not Intitialized" on external lookup to the database...

                • Strange Problem - 10.5 - existing project - filters no longer available
                  Olly Bond

                  Hello barnold,

                   

                  11.5 is just released - see the announcement at the top of this forum so I'd go for that - there's an annoying bug in 11.3 spotted by kbelli here.

                   

                  We're about to migrate to v11 at work also, but are staying on 32 bit - unless you are forced to use 64 bit MS Office then there's not much benefit in the 64 bit Monarch. You might find more support for the DSN in 32 bit also?

                   

                  Best wishes,

                   

                  Olly

                  • Strange Problem - 10.5 - existing project - filters no longer available
                    Grant Perkins

                    Thanks Olly,

                    Just one monitor. It has been recommended that I move to 11.3 (which also means upgrading my SLR (ODBC) DSN) so that all is 64-bit (on Win 7/64). Unfortunately, that has resulted in a different problem..."Handle is not Intitialized" on external lookup to the database...[/QUOTE]

                     

                    Do I take it you have upgraded? And the original problem is now resolved?

                     

                    I suspexct the original problem was akin to the 2 monitors problem Olly suggested.

                     

                    A handful of times over the years I have been using Monarch (and a few other programs) I have seen situation where Windows loses the default size of a pop-up window so that it becomes something like 1 pixel wide and on the extreme left of the screen. It could be anywhere in fact at an edge and may have a negative value for the dimension that, in effect, means it is thought to be off the screen edge.

                     

                    If yo ulook carefully you can sometimes see some 'moving' pixels in the edge of the active disply area. You can usually drag the edge out and reclain the pop-up window and establich it with a new size.

                     

                    Alternatively, if you have access to the registry, the values can be re-set in there but it's been a while since I have seen the problem and the exact resgitry values that need to be checked have skipped out of my memory.

                     

                    I think there may be a post in the forum somewhere that relates to this confusing matter.

                     

                    Re-installing (or upgrading) will fix the problem by resetting the registry values since they are just saved variables rather than personal preferences.

                     

                    There might be a different cause but this is certainly one to check for.

                     

                     

                    HTH.

                     

                    Grant Perkins