4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:14 AM by pbishop@cds-global.com _ RSS

Will a floating trap work for me when........

pbishop@cds-global.com _

I have a report that has a detail line like this....

COUNT -   740     NBR COPIES -   740     NBR ISSUES -  8874

Recently they changed the report to increase fields that were being truncated.  So now my count field can be 9 long and copies 9 long where they use to be 6.  I'm trying to make the model I have now work for the old reports and new reports.  So some reports will have these fields at 6 long and new at 9.  When i trap on 9 and pull up an old report, it grabs part of the heading.  So I might get 'T - 999999' where all I want is 999999.  Can I use a floating trap to get around this?  I was trying to avoid having to grab one big chunk and then split out what i need.  I've never used the floating trap in a real life example yet and have only used it in our class.

Thanks.

• Will a floating trap work for me when........
          Olly Bond

Hello pbishop,

Yes - this is pretty much exactly what the floating trap is for. It'll be easier if you use the longer data examples as your sample for the template.

Best wishes,

Olly

pbishop@cds-global.com _

Can you tell me what I'm missing then? This is the old way the data is in the report

SUBTOTAL:  COUNT -     1     NBR COPIES -     1     NBR ISSUES -    12     GROSS VALUE -    18.00     CAN VALUE -      .00

/CODE

The new way is like this to accomodate 3 more characters in some of the fields.

SUBTOTAL:  COUNT -     1  NBR COPIES -        1  NBR ISSUES -       12  GROSS VALUE -       18.00  CAN VALUE -         .00

/CODE

When i set thet floating trap on the new way I get the following in my table which is right

SUBTOTAL: 1 1 12 18.00 .00 new floating trap new report

That same trap in the old report looks like this

SUBTOTAL 1 S - 1 S - 12 E - 18.00 E - .00 new floating trap old report

So the s- and the e- are part of the header before the data because it now overlaps in the header in the old report. So thats where I didn't know if the floating trap was right or not.

Any suggestions?..Also I'm not for sure how to get spacing to show properly when I copied lines from my report file.  I've been trying to figure that out now.

Olly Bond

Hello pbishop,

The trick with the floating trap is to be a bit more generous with the trap characters. In a fixed report, without the floating trap, you're always trying to find the fewest characters that will accurately grab just the lines you need, and the more characters you put in the T line of the template dialog, the more errors you risk.

With the floating trap, you want the characters in the T line to do two jobs at once - telling Monarch which lines of the report to grab for that template, and also providing the anchor points to separate the fields.

SUBTOTAL:  COUNT -     1     NBR COPIES -     1     NBR ISSUES -    12     GROSS VALUE -    18.00     CAN VALUE -      .00[/CODE]

Here, I'd use all the text as literal traps, with ß either side of them for good measure, and paint the gaps between the words as the fields.

Hope this helps,

Olly