20 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2014 10:24 AM by Olly Bond RSS

Where can we download the old "Programmers Guide"

cstewart _

Hello,

I was hoping to download a copy of the old Programmers Guide to troubleshoot some .bat files we've written.  I can't seem to find it anymore.  Can anyone point me to a link on the Monarch site that works?

Thanks,

Charles

• Where can we download the old "Programmers Guide"
          KeyserSoze _

Hello and welcome, Charles. Please check your private messages.

juliejz _

I would like a copy of this as well, if possible.

Thanks!

KeyserSoze _

Please check your private messages juliejz.

Melissa2 _

Can I add a "Me Too?" Thanks.

Melissa2 _

Thank you.  I appreciate the link.

I am having an issue.  I have been told that I can no longer use my VBA code to process and export information from my reports automatically in the newest version of Monarch. I was very upset over this because as many of you all know, this ability save hundreds of hours a year and my company cannot afford to buy Data Pump, nor do we have the volumes that many others do to justify the purchase.  I am a long time Monarch user (since version 4.0) formerly in the financial industry.  I thought that it would still work and maybe that was only a way for them to sell us additional software.  So I thought I would try it and simply tried to open a file using the same old code that I have always used to do this.  I get the error message, "Runtime error 429. ActiveX cannot create object".  VBA can't find Monarch32.  If I look at the file properties it actually shows Monarch32a, but changing the code didn't make a difference.  I have Monarch Version 11 loaded onto my harddrive on my PC, but I have Office 2010 (32 bit edition) loaded on a network server and I access my PC via the network (Citrix).  Could this be causing my issue?  A little googling told me that it could be looking for an activation authorization that can't be found.  Forgive my ignorance, but networks are not my area of expertise.  Do I have to log on locally in order for the Thanks, Melissa

Olly Bond

Thank you.  I appreciate the link.

I am having an issue.  I have been told that I can no longer use my VBA code to process and export information from my reports automatically in the newest version of Monarch. I was very upset over this because as many of you all know, this ability save hundreds of hours a year and my company cannot afford to buy Data Pump, nor do we have the volumes that many others do to justify the purchase.  I am a long time Monarch user (since version 4.0) formerly in the financial industry.  I thought that it would still work and maybe that was only a way for them to sell us additional software.  So I thought I would try it and simply tried to open a file using the same old code that I have always used to do this.  I get the error message, "Runtime error 429. ActiveX cannot create object".  VBA can't find Monarch32.  If I look at the file properties it actually shows Monarch32a, but changing the code didn't make a difference.  I have Monarch Version 11 loaded onto my harddrive on my PC, but I have Office 2010 (32 bit edition) loaded on a network server and I access my PC via the network (Citrix).  Could this be causing my issue?  A little googling told me that it could be looking for an activation authorization that can't be found.  Forgive my ignorance, but networks are not my area of expertise.  Do I have to log on locally in order for the Thanks, Melissa[/QUOTE]

Hello Melissa,

I'm sorry, but I'm no expert in the dark arts of networks, Citrix and activation authorisations. You could try Datawatch support but I'm not even sure if or how Citrix deployment is technically supported these days. My advice would be to get Monarch installed locally, to make sure you use the latest patch (11.7 at the time of writing) which should support your scripting for the time being, and to start talking to your IT department and Datawatch about a sensible strategy going forward.

If you've been running desktop Monarch since version 4 that must be almost fifteen years - it's clearly a strategic part of your IT armoury. In that time, you say that your automation has saved the company hundreds of hours a year. So for an investment of around $500 for v4, with perhaps 5 upgrades of $200 each since then, the company has, for a total of $1500, saved thousands of hours of labour. Guessing that the total cost of an hour's labour is around $50, Datawatch have given your employer the tool to save over $50,000, and earned less than $2,000. I can understand why the management at Datawatch are trying to change this situation.

DataPump used to be available for about $10,000 - it's five years since I saw the price list, but I doubt it's changed too much. My suggestion would be to get a conversation going with Datawatch sales, with your management and with your IT, and see if everyone around the table can find a sensible way to give you a reliable platform to deliver the benefits of Monarch automation for your colleagues going forward.

If you'd like a chat about the server options and features of DataPump and Datawatch|ES, please feel free to drop me a line. I'm not a salesman, I don't have any Datawatch shares, and will happily give you neutral advice.

Best wishes,

Olly

RalphB _

Mellissa,

From my limited exposure to Monarch 11, it is capable of working with VBA scripting.  We are still running Monarch 10.5 network at work.  When we switched from XP over to Windows 7 for an OS we experienced problems running scripts.  It seems Windows 7 wants files like Monarch.exe on the local C drive and not anywhere else like a network drive.  How we solved it was to run a batch file to start Monarch before running the scripts.  that seems to have fixed our problem.

I am like Ollie that I do not have experience with Citrix so I cannot say that is your problem.  If you install Monarch on the machine you are using to access your pc through Citrix may solve your problem.  This is all a guess but it is worth trying.

Melissa2 _

Thanks for the information guys.  Olly, I guess I wasn't clear....The "hundreds of hours" saved was at a previous company.  I am the only Monarch user at my current company and that probably won't change for quite some time.  There isn't a chance to save that kind of time at the moment because the volumes just aren't there, but I was hoping to use my skills to save myself a little bit of time and automate a few processes like I have in the past.  Still, it would never be enough to justify the cost of more software.  I was lucky to get Monarch for myself. 

Ralph,  I kind of have the opposite situation.  I am logged into my computer via a network environment, but Monarch is installed on my harddrive and not the network.  My Excel is a network license I believe.  I will try the batch idea to see if that works.  Thanks so much.

Melissa

• Re: Where can we download the old "Programmers Guide"
                            Bob Cline

May I please have a copy too?

I tried the link - but it does not work.

Thank you!

Dean Gwilliam

I could really do with this manual too but the above link no longer seems to work

Thank you in anticipation and best regards

Olly Bond

Hello everyone, I think the link is from an old post imported into these new forums and might not be current. I'm surprised that there isn't any documentation for the v12 version with automation - but I have a copy of the old v8 guide I can email you if you drop me a line. Usual disclaimers - you shouldn't be automating this stuff on desktops, the software is unsupported, you're missing out on great new features, it won't work on new Windows or with new Excel, if you're serious about doing reporting properly then please do have a chat about doing it right, etc. All the best, Olly

Dean Gwilliam

Thanks Gary

Here's my Delphi version of the VB code in that manual for launching Monarch 8.

I've been using it so...I know it works.

unit uMonarch;

interface

uses

Windows, Messages, SysUtils, Classes, Graphics, Controls, Forms, Dialogs,

StdCtrls,

ComObj,     //for the benefit of CreateOleObject(

ActiveX,    //for the benefit of CoInitialize and CoUninitialize...boy you really need these

uGlobals;   //for gMonarch_pdf_pth  used in Monarch_launch

type

TMyThread = class(TThread)

public

procedure Execute; override;

end;

type

TfrmMonarch = class(TForm)

private

{ Private declarations }

public

{ Public declarations }

end;

procedure oMonarch_clear; //so uPdfs_to_db_via_monarch.pas can see it

var

frmMonarch: TfrmMonarch;

implementation

{$R *.DFM}

var oMonarch:variant;

Function IsServerActive():Boolean;

begin

Result := False;

try

if VarIsEmpty(oMonarch) = false then

If oMonarch.IsActive > 0 then Result := True;

except

on EOleError do ShowMessage('oMonarch.IsActive causing error so probably oMonarch probably not defined yet');

end;

End;

function BoolToStr(B:Boolean): string;

begin

if B then Result:='True' else Result:='False';

end;

procedure Monarch_Launch;

var

openfile, openmod:Boolean;

ServerOn:Boolean;

base_dir:string;

begin

base_dir:=GetCurrentDir;  //assumes pdf and model file are in same dir as this file

ServerOn:=IsServerActive();

If ServerOn=False then oMonarch := CreateOleObject('Monarch32');

//just for debugging

//if VarIsEmpty(oMonarch) then ShowMessage('oMonarch NOT assigned') else ShowMessage('oMonarch is assigned');

//openfile := oMonarch.SetReportFile(base_dir + '\2003.pdf', False);

openfile := oMonarch.SetReportFile(gMonarch_pdf_pth, False);  //gMonarch_pdf_pth in uGlobals

If openfile = True Then

openmod := oMonarch.SetModelFile(base_dir + '\dummy_mdl.xmod');

End;

procedure TMyThread.Execute; //more thread stuff i.e. call Monarch_launch from inside thread_1

var done:Boolean;

begin

done:=False;

CoInitialize(nil);

while not Terminated do begin

if done=False then begin

Monarch_launch;

done:=True;

end;

end;

CoUninitialize;

end;

procedure start_monarch_thread;

begin

//make sure you've set gMonarch_pdf_pth before you do next line which call's the thread's Execute method, launching Monarch

//gMonarch_thread:=TMyThread.Create(false);

end;

procedure end_monarch_thread;

begin

//  gMonarch_thread.Terminate;

//  gMonarch_thread.WaitFor;

//  FreeAndNil(gMonarch_thread);

end;

procedure oMonarch_clear;

begin

if VarIsEmpty(oMonarch)=False then  //this is how you handle testing of VARIANTS according to help

VarClear(oMonarch);  //this is how you clear VARIANTS according to help

Assert(VarIsEmpty(oMonarch),'wow...oMonarch not cleared');

end;

end.

Stan Ho

None of the links appear to work any longer.  Can someone send me a copy of the guide or provide a working link?  Much appreciated!

Stan Ho

I just read on another thread, Olly mentions that VB does not work in V11.x and up?  Is this true?  I'm on 12 so I'd be wasting my time reading the Programmer's Guide to automate the exporting XLS files converted from PDFs?

Olly Bond

Hello Stan,

Monarch 11.5 and higher does not support COM, VB or any other automation unless you buy a special licence. The price of the licence is supposed to be a secret - it's not listed on Datawatch's website - but I think it's about ten times the cost of desktop Modeler v12. That's about the same as buying Automator (the new name for DataPump) and doing the automation properly on a server.

What's right for you will depend on lots of factors. If you'd like to talk about the options, please get in touch. Monarch Experts are not resellers, are not on commission, and offer unbiased advice.

Best wishes,

Olly