6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:14 AM by Olly Bond RSS

"Master Field List" (library of fields)

Frank Pappalardo

I am in the midst of creating models for many reports, (currently at 60 and could end up in the hundreds). Many fields appear on multiple reports, and I am trying to standardize the field specs across models (using standard field names, data type, etc.).

To this end, I have created a crude "master field list". Each time I create or modify a model, I open the Field List, then copy and paste it into a spreasheet. Is there an easier way?

I envision a utility program which would scan all of my models and create this list for me. Does such a thing exist?

• "Master Field List" (library of fields)
          Olly Bond

Hello Frank,

In Monarch v9 or above, you can import objects from one model to another. You could create a "master" blank model, then go to "Calculated Fields" and select Import. In the dialog, you can tell Monarch to look for definitions in all .xmod files in a folder (and subfolders). Fields also exist because of templates, and external lookups. You can import these definitions in the same manner.

Once you have all your definitions in a "master" model, you can go back to your slave models and set them to link to the objects in the master. If you make the link "strong", then Monarch will not store any definition in the slave model and will only use the definition in the master.

BTW I've been looking at a convenient way to print out the definitions of a project & model for audit for a while. The program stores these as XML and provides stylesheets to render these, but you can't easily get both project and model information described on screen at once.

Best wishes,

Olly

Grant Perkins

At the risk of stating the obvious on the beck of Olly's post ...

Snce you already have a number of models with fields defined you will have the basis of the master list (or lists possibly with grouping by commonality of usage) and of course you could relatively simply copy (ie import) what you have to a new 'Master List' model in order to create it.

Grant

ETA: Somewhere in your Monarch installation you should be able to find the "Linked Objects Tutorial" pdf file for an introduction to the possibilities.

Frank Pappalardo

Thanks Olly and Grant -

I've had mixed results with importing objects; I will need to keep playing with that. But even so, doing what you suggest doesn't sound any easier than what I'm doing now; it still requires some manual steps every time I make or modify a model. Or am I missing something?

Also I am concerned about linking, because:

a) Other than the Field Name, the fields tend to be different (template location, length, etc.).

b) Each model is developed on a local machine, but is put into production on another box. I'm afraid the links will break.

Olly, I started looking at the XML also, but I'm only a part-time programmer. I was hoping someone else has already done that work!

Olly Bond

Hello Frank,

As long as you use UNC paths that are common to all users on all machines, you should be OK with the links. How many users are you trying to manage? Will the production box be running DataPump or just automated Monarch? How important is verification / error checking /audit in your line of work?

If Monarch v11.5, or v12, could generate one XML file of the xmod and xprj information together, then I'm sure it wouldn't be beyond the wit of man for us to render this in a more usable form. I'm working on DataPump v11.3 job logs at the moment - watch this space...

Best wishes

Olly

Frank Pappalardo

Actually the production box is running IBM Content Manager On Demand (CMOD) report distribution tool, with the "Monarch RMS" add-on. The user grabs the report with CMOD (web interface), then clicks the Monarch RMS button. The add-on applies the model and displays the table to the user, who can then save it as a spreadsheet. No Monarch license necessary at the user level, which is pretty sweet considering we have hundreds of users.

But it is a bit of a black box to me. I can't really dig around inside Monarch RMS. We just load the models to a folder on the server.

As for the XML files, I don't actually use Monarch projects at all, so the xmod files contain all the info I need.

Thanks,

Frank

Olly Bond

Hello Frank,

Aha - if RMS on CMOD is anything like Datawatch|ES, then I'd steer clear of linked objects. As far as I can tell, the models are stored in a SQL database and called on the fly. If they are all slave models with paths to a master model that has a constant UNC path which the service account under which RMS runs can read, it might work out OK. But I'd suggest it's worth asking Datawatch for advice on this.

Best wishes,

Olly