4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:14 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

First Value in Summary Header

Kamawell2 _

What dictates whether or not the value of a field will display correctly if I use the "First Value of Field" function in a summary header? I've got no sample values in any of the fields when I go the list to pick one out.

Thanks

Andy

• First Value in Summary Header
          Grant Perkins

Andy,

If you are working with the summary the fields, or the basis of the fields, have already been defined in the table. Am I misunderstanding the origin of your question?

(It is entirely possible that I am ...)

Grant

Kamawell2 _

Hi Grant

The fields appear in the table and in the body of the summary.  Where I'm having trouble is in the header part of the page setup of the summary (Summary Definition General> Page Setup> Page Header>  First Value of Field.)  All the sample values are blank.  I've used this without problem on other reports - just wondering where I'm going wrong on this one.

Olly Bond

Hello Andy,

When I get odd behavior like this, it's usually from a model where there's too much going on. By that I mean the user has built something with external lookups, filters, sorts, calculated fields and summaries, and Monarch might just get itself in a twist. Usually the "Refresh database and external lookups" is enough to sort things out, but sometimes changing the active filter or saving the model is needed.

In stubborn cases, I find it's helpful to break down the model into multiple models. Export the sorted and filtered table to a clean local Access file. Open this in a new project and import the summary definition from the previous model. If this doesn't fix it, hopefully it will at least let us see more clearly where the cause of the problem might be.

Best wishes

Olly

Grant Perkins

Andy,

Go with Olly's approach I think and see what turns up. Is it possible there is a rogue line of data somewhere and a sort has made it prominent for the header information?

I will confess that what you are working with is not a feature with which I am very familiar so Olly is a better resource for this one.

Grant