5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:14 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Data export inconsistent between users

roldgoldberg13 _

Hello,

I created a project for a business partner with project exports.  When I open the project and run the detail export that I've created, I return the correct data.  When my business partner opens the same project and runs the same export, the data does not return as it did for me.  I've checked the external lookups, model and source files, and they all exist in a folder that we both have access to.  I have no idea why the data is exporting inconsistently.  Has anyone ever experienced this same issue, or know of a possible cause?  Please help!

Thanks,

Josh

• Data export inconsistent between users
          Grant Perkins

Basic checks to consider.

Same version and release of Monarch?

Same windows and update level, especially .NET?

Same settings for options for modelling and exports?

To help narrow things down a little - which output file type are you exporting to/

Can you roughly outline the sort of differences you are seeing?

I not you say "runs the same project" - I assume that also means runs the same model rathre than a different, perhaps earlier, version of it from a different location locally on his machine? Just a thought about the sort of things that might not be entirely obvious targets for investigation  unless you suspect they may be part of the cause. No doubt there are others that will be suggested in time.

roldgoldberg13 _

Thanks Grant,

Yes, same version and release of Monarch and same version of Windows. 

How do I check the .NET update level? 

Also, where can I check the settings for options for modeling and exports?

There were two project exports created...It appears that the summary export is correct.  However, it is the Table export for the detail that is coming back inconsistent.  There are certain "fee types" that are being pulled back incorrectly (These are being pulled from an external lookup file).  Basically there are categories and associated fee types.  There is a lookup file to pull back the fee types attached to each category.  After the fee types are pulled in, I have a couple different calculated fields with IF statements to change some of the fee types.  On my business partner's fee type column, many are incorrect. 

Thanks for your help,

Josh

Grant Perkins

OK, so the primary problem is that either the lookup is not working correctly? Or is it the next stage after the calculated fields with IF statements?

If it's limited to that area and you can see the anomalies in Monarch before export AND we are talking simple "code" to "code" conversion rather than, say, getting involved with dates and stuff somewhere in there, then it seems that the first place to check would be the external lookup. If that's OK but the Calculated field results for the next step are not then there would seem to be something of an anomaly with the calculation for some reason. But lets do this one step at a time for now.

Are you comparing results using the same input report/file/database?

Do the translated codes look OK when first read in?

Is the external lookup table fixed or dynamic. By which I mean is it set in advance but may from time to tome have additions, changes or deletions  OR is it something that has to be extracted from somewhere and regenerated for each report being processed?

If it is fairly static you could, for purposes of elimination, create and INTERNAL lookup with the required values and compare the results to the EXTERNAL lookup.

If the codes rarely change then an internal lookup might be a good way to go anyway. (I am assuming that this is a basic 2 column type lookup - it might get a little more complicated to set up for a quick comarison test if more than 2 columns are involved).

Grant

roldgoldberg13 _

Thanks Grant,

I've been a bit sidetracked lately and haven't been able to revisit this until now. 

So, the external lookups are fine.  They are static, basic two column lookups that do not change  The data actually appears to be correct within Monarch for both users, but when it is exported to excel, some of the categories get switched in the process.

Thanks again,

Josh

Grant Perkins

Hmm.

So we can point the findger at the export process with some confidence?

OK. Which version of Excel are the users exporting to.

Monarch has options that allow selection of the Excel version to be "used" as the basis for an individual export. Are the users Export Options both set to the same version of Excel? (Just a couple basic settings to check before we dive into the deeper end ....)

Grant