6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:14 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Template for Multi Line

scrtchmstj _

I'm having some trouble building a template for a multi line detail. Here are three examples of how the data can appear on a report. The example number is not on the actual report.

Example     Seq#     DR-GL          DR-Amt          CR-GL          CR-Amt

1     41946     900-120-037      15.05          729-001-000      15.05

2     41949+     739-100-015     900.00

2     41950-                         900-125-012     900.00

3     41957     900-110-004      20.00          739-000-004      20.00

3          900-110-004      10.00          151-091-004      10.00[/CODE]

Basically, I'd be happy if it would return the following:

Seq     Debit GL     Dr Amt     Credit GL     CR AMt

41946     900-120-037      15.05     729-001-000      15.05

41949     739-100-015     900.00     

41950                    900-125-012     900.00

41957     900-110-004      20.00     739-000-004      20.00

41957     900-110-004      10.00     151-091-004      10.00[/CODE]

The problem is that I have to set criteria on the first line but for the 3rd example, I need it to pull down the "41957" sequence number. If anyone could offer some advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Joshua

• Template for Multi Line
          Eamon Donoghue

Hi Joshua,

I hope I understand your problem correctly, but I believe you can solve this problem using the 'Copy value from previous record' option in the Field Properties dialog.

If you double click on the SequenceNo field, you will see what I mean.  I would not use a multiline template - imho each line represents a detail record  - and you can then pick up the correct Sequence Number as outlined above.

hth,

Best regards,

Eamon.

Grant Perkins

Hi Joshua,

I agree with Eamon based on your example.

You could also consider using the Seq# column in an Append template  - it would have the same effect as the "fill from previous record" in your example but sometimes the "fill" option may not give all that you need so considering the Append route is worthwhile.

Grant

scrtchmstj _

eamond and Grant, thanks for the ideas. One of the problems I would have not going multi-line, or using an append (I think) is that I can't set criteria on the detail level because there is no consistent field on which to set the criteria. For example, if I set criteria on the debit amount to N.NN it would exclude the third line crediting 900-125-012 in the amount of 900.00.

I've never encountered this but is there a way to set "either/or" criteria for a detail-level template? For example could I say to include a line if either the debit value was N.NN or the credit value was N.NN? If there was, I could set it up and add an append template to include the sequence number.

Joshua

Olly Bond

Hello Joshua,

The "Numeric Or" trap was invented for this sort of occasion. If you use the "|" trap and not the "Ñ" trap, and put the trap in both the debit and credit columns, you should be able to trap all the lines you need.

Best wishes,

Olly

scrtchmstj _

Olly, wow, I guess I use the other traps so much that I forgot there were other ones. I'd never used that one. Thanks!

Joshua

Grant Perkins

Olly, wow, I guess I use the other traps so much that I forgot there were other ones. I'd never used that one. Thanks!

Joshua[/QUOTE]

Hehe. Let me guess that you have the same experience with Monarch Functions. Found a few, know them and can't see an obvious use for the others yet ...  ?

I think many people are in that position - I know I was for the first 2 years or so of using Monarch back in V3/V4 days. One day I saw an expert answer to a problem and the answer was just so good and so different to anything I had ever considered doing I was amazed.  So I started to look at things differently and a new world of Monarch Analysis opened up.

I decided to set aside, when I could, 5 or 10 minutes per day just to look at features I had not looked at much before and consider how they might be useful. It's worth doing - it all starts to fit together quickly after a very short time and adds a lot of value to what you can do with Monarch.

Your plan B here, if not using the Numeric OR, would be to simply grab every line, paint all possible fields, do the extract and filter out the blank lines (and any other lines that may appear on a complete report but are not part of your analysis). The Numeric OR trap is a neater option though.

Grant