5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:14 AM by Bob Gasior RSS

Exporting field names to an Excel file.

Bob Gasior

I am trying to create a positve pay check file for our new bank. I have no problems extracting the data from our check register and adding some other data needed by them using runtime parameters. My problem is that they do not want any field names in the Excel file, just data. I can manually open the Excel file and delete line 1, but that adds a manual step when I want this to be automated using Monarch. I know you can turn off field names for text files, delimited text and html files. Everything I found in the help file says it can not be done for database formats and spreadsheet formats.  Is this a definite or has someone found a work around to omit the field names in an Excel file?

Thanks,

Bob G

• Exporting field names to an Excel file.
          KeyserSoze _

Bob,

With your project/model file open that currently exports the unwanted field names, go to the Options menu, and select Export and Clipboard... (assuming that you're still using v10.5 as your profile indicates). On the General tab, clear the check box which includes the field names as the first row of output. OK the dialog, save the model, and run the export again.

It should be as you need it now.

joey

Does the bank take a CSV file for positive pay? We use Chase for positive pay and send them a csv file.  Are you automating this with a batch script?  You could have a second spreadsheet that has a module in it to open your exported spreadsheet and delete the first row. That macro could be called in the batch script.

Grant Perkins

It may be worth checking with the bank whether they need an Excel file or an Excel READABLE file. In most standard installation of MS Office that I am aware of a "CSV" type file, as suggested by Joey, tends to default to be an Excel file through windows file associations. This may have been changed, of course, for a specific machine/installation, but the default seem to be "CSV" > Excel.

Grant