10 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:13 AM by TMERRYMAN _ RSS

Row Count Exceeds Maximum...error ONLY HAVE 4,427 ROWS

TMERRYMAN _

Hello.  I hope someone can help me.  I am really struggling to figure out why I cannot append to a table in an existing spreadsheet in MS Excel 2007.  I keep getting the error "Row Count Exceeds Maximum...", however, the spreadsheet only has 4,427 rows in it and I'm only adding 165 more rows.

Any clue what I'm missing?

Thanks!

Teresa

• Row Count Exceeds Maximum...error ONLY HAVE 4,427 ROWS
          RalphB _

Teresa,

It sounds like you may have some data in the area of the spreadsheet you are trying to append to.   You may want to check the named range you are trying to append to in Excel to see that the last row of the range is not past row 4427.  If it is OK, you may want to check to see if there is some data below that range.

I run into similar problems when someone decides to use the space bar to delete data in a cell.  When that happens, I have to search all the cells below the range and DELETE the offending cell.  The fastest way I've found is to hit the end and then the down arrow to search down to the bottom and end up to go up.

Let us know if that helps..

TMERRYMAN _

Thank you for replying Ralph.  I checked as you recommended and there is no data below my last row.  However, I had not thought of checking the named ranges.  Doing so, brought another issue to my attention.  When editing my project export, my "existing tables" do not come up.  Only the named ranges are showing up AS "existing tables".  Do you know why this would be?  When I deleted the named range on the spreadsheet I am trying to append, it did not show up on my "existing tables" list.  However, I added it back, and voila...it was there.  I haven't had this issue before.  I think that if I can get it to look at my tables and not my ranges, my problem would be solved.

elginreigner _

Monarch works off of name ranges, not the worksheet names. This is what is causing your issue when you get the error about maximum rows. There are manual work arounds, easiest fix is to remove the file and start fresh file.

From my experience, you will see this when a user has edited the file manually. When this happens, the name range is now off. When Monarch  attempts to insert into the name range, and increment the count by 1, it throws the error because of the current row count.

Hope this helps.

TMERRYMAN _

Okay, I see now.  Actually, this is a file that users will be editing manually and also appending new data to it daily.  Is this not going to work for us?

Monarch works off of name ranges, not the worksheet names. This is what is causing your issue when you get the error about maximum rows. There are manual work arounds, easiest fix is to remove the file and start fresh file.

From my experience, you will see this when a user has edited the file manually. When this happens, the name range is now off. When Monarch  attempts to insert into the name range, and increment the count by 1, it throws the error because of the current row count.

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

RalphB _

Sorry about not getting back sooner.  I have excel files that I append to every day and others work them and have the same problems.  I finally have most people trained to if they need to append data to one of those files to insert it above the last row.  That allows them to add data and adjust the named range automatically.  Another possible problem is when they delete data.  If they are deleting data at the bottom of the range, they need to delete the entire row and not just the data in the cells as Monarch looks at the bottom of the named range and if it finds blank cells it will not append.

TMERRYMAN _

Thanks for your responses.  It's very appreciated.  However, I don't think this is a solution for our users.  I need something simple for them that consistently works. 

Sorry about not getting back sooner.  I have excel files that I append to every day and others work them and have the same problems.  I finally have most people trained to if they need to append data to one of those files to insert it above the last row.  That allows them to add data and adjust the named range automatically.  Another possible problem is when they delete data.  If they are deleting data at the bottom of the range, they need to delete the entire row and not just the data in the cells as Monarch looks at the bottom of the named range and if it finds blank cells it will not append.[/QUOTE]

elginreigner _

Okay, I see now.  Actually, this is a file that users will be editing manually and also appending new data to it daily.  Is this not going to work for us?[/QUOTE]

I process daily payment files that ran into this issue. Our resolution, since they only needed to modify the files that day, is to create a copy of the processed file. Do you need to keep the data they append?

RalphB, We tried training the users as well, got to be a hassle. They would either forget or we would get new users in that needed to be trained.

KeyserSoze _

This problem might be avoided by running an Excel macro on the file that Monarch exports (and that the users may have manipulated) before once again updating the file with Monarch.

'Copy this macro to a module in the PERSONAL.XLSB or PERSONAL.XLS workbook, and assign it to a custom toolbar icon

'Then open the exported Monarch file in Excel and click the toolbar icon to run this macro

Sub CheckMonarchRange()

Dim lLastRow As Long

Dim lLastColumn As Long

Dim bAdjustRange As Boolean

'Check that there's a workbook open

'A count of 1 means that only the personal macro workbook is open,

'therefore there's nothing to work on, so stop right now

If Workbooks.Count = 1 Then Exit Sub

'Get the last row and column info

'Assumes that values exist in every cell in the first row and first column

lLastRow = Range("A1").End(xlDown).Row

lLastColumn = Range("A1").End(xlToRight).Column

'No, we don't need adjust the Monarch range yet

bAdjustRange = False

'Monarch always creates a named range with the same name as the worksheet name

'Check to see if the rows used have changed

If Range("A1", Range(ActiveSheet.Name)).Rows.Count <> lLastRow Then

bAdjustRange = True

End If

'Check to see if the columns used have changed

If Range("A1", Range(ActiveSheet.Name)).Columns.Count <> lLastColumn Then

bAdjustRange = True

End If

If bAdjustRange Then

With ActiveWorkbook

.Names.Add Name:=ActiveSheet.Name, RefersTo:=Range("A1", Range("A1").Offset(lLastRow - 1, lLastColumn - 1))

'Suppress Excel dialog box

Application.DisplayAlerts = False

.Save

'Enable regular Excel dialogs

Application.DisplayAlerts = True

End With

End If

End Sub

/CODERun the macro, close Excel, and carry on with Monarch work as normal. This avoids the issues created by relying on the Excel file users.

TMERRYMAN _

I'm going to try this...

This problem might be avoided by running an Excel macro on the file that Monarch exports (and that the users may have manipulated) before once again updating the file with Monarch.

'Copy this macro to a module in the PERSONAL.XLSB or PERSONAL.XLS workbook, and assign it to a custom toolbar icon

'Then open the exported Monarch file in Excel and click the toolbar icon to run this macro

Sub CheckMonarchRange()

Dim lLastRow As Long

Dim lLastColumn As Long

Dim bAdjustRange As Boolean

'Check that there's a workbook open

'A count of 1 means that only the personal macro workbook is open,

'therefore there's nothing to work on, so stop right now

If Workbooks.Count = 1 Then Exit Sub

'Get the last row and column info

'Assumes that values exist in every cell in the first row and first column

lLastRow = Range("A1").End(xlDown).Row

lLastColumn = Range("A1").End(xlToRight).Column

'No, we don't need adjust the Monarch range yet

bAdjustRange = False

'Monarch always creates a named range with the same name as the worksheet name

'Check to see if the rows used have changed

If Range("A1", Range(ActiveSheet.Name)).Rows.Count <> lLastRow Then

bAdjustRange = True

End If

'Check to see if the columns used have changed

If Range("A1", Range(ActiveSheet.Name)).Columns.Count <> lLastColumn Then

bAdjustRange = True

End If

If bAdjustRange Then

With ActiveWorkbook

.Names.Add Name:=ActiveSheet.Name, RefersTo:=Range("A1", Range("A1").Offset(lLastRow - 1, lLastColumn - 1))

'Suppress Excel dialog box

Application.DisplayAlerts = False

.Save

'Enable regular Excel dialogs

Application.DisplayAlerts = True

End With

End If

End Sub

/CODERun the macro, close Excel, and carry on with Monarch work as normal. This avoids the issues created by relying on the Excel file users.[/QUOTE]

TMERRYMAN _

Actually, it will be a new file each month that they will append current data to and manually enter information into daily.

I process daily payment files that ran into this issue. Our resolution, since they only needed to modify the files that day, is to create a copy of the processed file. Do you need to keep the data they append?

RalphB, We tried training the users as well, got to be a hassle. They would either forget or we would get new users in that needed to be trained.[/QUOTE]