6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:13 AM by elginreigner _ RSS

    Monarch Project Locking Up

    greywolf1978 _

      Good Day,

       

      I'm hoping someone can help us with an issue we are having.

       

      Every day, we need to "manually" run a project (3 of them actually).  Steps taken are to open the project, search out the text file (file is between 1 - 20 MB - the file itself has a datestamp hence why we need to use this method - if there is a way to have the project point at a file with a different date stamp, I'm all ears ).

       

      When we open the text file, a box pops up for "Retention Options".  We click "Retain current project" and click OK.  Monarch hard locks.  We have to kill the applciation via task manager.  When we reopen the project, it asks if we want to recover it.  We do so, follow the same steps above and the project runs without an issue.  When it does run, it appends data from the text file based on filters to 5 -10 different Excel files.  This works as intented.

       

      We are running Monarch 11 32 bit on Windows XP Pro.  Version of Monarch is 11.1.16.0.  I cannot upload the project as it contains sensitive company information.  Does anyone have any ideas or things we might want to check that could be causing this problem?  :confused:  I'm fairly new to Monarch and did not build the projects.  I do believe they were carry overs from Monarch version 9.

        • Monarch Project Locking Up
          kbelli _

          I have no idea whether this would make a difference, but there is a new patch for Monarch 11.2.7.0.

            • Monarch Project Locking Up
              Olly Bond

              Hello greywolf,

               

               

              A project in desktop Monarch is designed to call a file (or several files) with fixed names. In Monarch DataPump (the server version of Monarch), you can tell Monarch to open any file that matches a wildcard expression like abc*.txt.

               

              Does your model make any use of the File() function in Monarch to grab the timestamp? Either way, there are hacks to help you around this. You can run a command from the DOS prompt to copy abc*.txt justonefile.txt - this will take all the files with different timestamps and add them together into one, which you can then attack with Monarch.

               

              Hope this helps,

               

              Olly

                • Monarch Project Locking Up
                  greywolf1978 _

                  Thank you Olly.  We have actually looked at datapump however the cost for our company was determined to be too prohibitive.  The work around section that I talked about does just that (copies the file via VB to just one location however I could not get it to work - we actually have around 100 different models doing this same thing).  When I did this, I set the project up to run via VB using the call statements available in other posts.  It did open the project and appear to run but did not append to the necessary files (Picks up the date of the file from within the text file itself to determine which file to paste to.

                   

                  Is there a way, once the project is built, to tell it to look at this specific file?  I tried to point it at the new file, then save the project, but it reverted the next run.  I do need to do some reading up on monarch to figure out a few things (essentially I'm just trying to keep existing reports going right now).  I'll do a little research into the file to see if I can determine how things were originally set up.  I'm hoping we are able to get this up and running.  We still have the item where the project locks up. 

                   

                  Kbelli - thank you for the heads up on the patch.  We'll check on that as well.  I just think that the project may not be very stable which may be causing the issues.  It was probably built 3 + years ago. 

                   

                  Thanks again,

                   

                  Ron (sorry for excluding my name on the original post)

                    • Monarch Project Locking Up
                      Olly Bond

                      Hello Ron,

                       

                      Just a quick thought - why are you using a project here? If you are calling Monarch programmatically, then wouldn't it be easier to call:

                       

                      monarch.exe /model:nameofmodel.xmod /report:filename.txt /exporttable:output.xls[/CODE]

                       

                      I'm sure this syntax is all wrong, but I hope you get the general principle, that you don't need to define a project export but can apply a model to a file directly.

                       

                      Best wishes,

                       

                      Olly

                        • Monarch Project Locking Up
                          greywolf1978 _

                          Hi Olly,

                           

                          Actually we have done this with several of our previous projects (split them into their individual modules and if anything additional needs to be done to the export files, we have Excel VBA do it).  This particular project appends specific information to seperate files (one of the projects has 10 files it appends data to).  To do the same thing via modules would require us seperate them out and build the logic for each.  But given the project crashes anyway, we may just go down this route.  And the logic would be:

                           

                          Monarch.exe /rpt:[path]\[txtfilehere].txt /mod:[path]\[modulehere].modx /exp:[path]\[exportfilehere].xlsx /t

                           

                          Thanks again for the suggestions.  And we did install the new patch on one of our machines - same issue with the project.