10 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:13 AM by Tiffany Seeland RSS

DataPump process failure

Tiffany Seeland

Almost all of our jobs run when other events happen, not at a specified time.  To accomplish this I have my process(es) set to retry automatically if process prerequisites are not satisified; to retry every x minutes (it varies); and to continue retrying indefinitely.  Sometimes it works great and others it does not.  I have not even been able to find the common scenario when it fails. :o  I can see in the job log that it does recognize the missing file and reset itself to rerun at another interval.  BUT the job quits trying to run indefinitely!  I have no idea why and I don't believe that I have any processes that have not quit trying to run and are immune to this failure.  I also have the scheduler set NOT to stop running the task(s) at xx interval either.

I am going to paste just one log file and hopefully you geniuses can all let me know what I am missing because I don't see anyone posting anything like this here and I guess its just me. :confused:

Process prerequisites were not met: Wildcard specification '
      208.206.156.198\Net\Fuel\CCRptsProcessing\ccs*.txt' did not match any files.Process prerequisites were not met: Wildcard specification '
      208.206.156.198\Net\Fuel\CCRptsProcessing\ccs*.txt' did not match any files.Process prerequisites were not met: Wildcard specification '
      208.206.156.198\Net\Fuel\CCRptsProcessing\ccs*.txt' did not match any files.

Would love to get a simple answer that fixes the problem...Thank you!

• DataPump process failure
          Olly Bond

Hello Tiffany,

Can I ask why you aren't using monitoring for ccs*.txt - that way DataPump watches the folder for you and only triggers the process when the file arrives?

Best wishes,

Olly

Tiffany Seeland

Hi Olly! Thanks for the response.  If I'm not mistaken, that monitoring stuff is the part that requires a distribution? I get an error message because there is no output. If there is no solution to my original problem, perhaps we can change it to have a distribution or at least attempt to fool it into thinking there is one?

Thanks again!

Olly Bond

Hi Tiffany,

Monitoring does require an input distribution, because otherwise you would be telling DataPump to start a process when the file arrived, and then to infinitely repeat the process as the file was still there. I find it easier just to create a subfolder called "Done" and tell DataPump to move the files there once it's processed them.

HTH

Olly

Tiffany Seeland

I have several jobs that run mulitple processes.  If creating new folders simply for the purpose of fooling the monitoring system is not an option I'd prefer, is there no other way? 

For example, this particular job has two processes, only one has an input distribution.  I think you are telling me that I would have to break them apart and run them seperately?  Thats a lot of work for every job that I have set up.  Perhaps we can go back to why the system is failing instead of retrying the job instead?

Olly Bond

Hello Tiffany,

No, you don't have to break them apart. I presume that the first project in the process is the monitored one? Then just set the input distribution on that in the XPRJ Editor on the DataPump server and you should be fine.

Best wishes,

Olly

Tiffany Seeland

Olly, thanks! If I understood correctly, I moved the process with the input distribution to be the one that is monitored, but it doesn't work because the monitoring function requires all processes to have an input distribution.  (Therea are two processes, only one has a distribution.) What have I done wrong?

And since changing our jobs whose processes do ALL have distributions to be monitored, they are still failing.  So even with monitoring, our jobs are failing and I would desperately like to re-address my first concern to stop them from failing whether they are monitored or not.

Thanks again

Tiffany

Olly Bond

Hello Tiffany,

I'm a little confused by the wording in your post - am I right that you mean "project" and not "process" - when you say you moved the projects that have monitored inputs to be the first that are executed in each process?

Do you need to run another project before you run the one which uses the monitored input?

I'm working on a really neat tool that will document DataPump processes in Visio, direct from a job log file. When DataPump v11 appears, this will be so much easier - I could just run your job log through the tool and get a neat process diagram showing me exactly what's going on...

Best wishes,

Olly

Tiffany Seeland

I would like to start over, again.  I have a job with two whatever.  One has an input distribution and one does not.  So that they work correctly, the second thing has the input distribution.  Since they do not both have an input distribution I CAN NOT use the monitoring function.  I was willing to try and work around it by fooling it, but I am tired of trying that. 

Can someone PLEASE tell me why the datapump continues to fail instead of waiting for my jobs to run?  This applies to BOTH jobs with monitoring and without, now both types fail.